Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found the following list of filters for the 1500 and wanted to see if anyone had others that should be included or errors on the list.

Honda didn't make it easy since there is no references in the Owners manual, not even the Honda oil filter Part no.

U.S. List is:

AC Delco PF2135
AMSOil SMF103
Carquest 85358
AC Delco PF2135
FRAM PH6017A
Honda 15410-MCJ-000
K&N KN-204, about $13. Metric nut on end for easy removal.
NAPA Gold 1358
Purolator ML16817. Imported, not made by Purolator.
STP SMO 17
WIX 51358
Super Tech ST6607

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Purolator
PureOne PL14642

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
1500 and 1800 wings use the same oil filter don't they. wingstuff only list one filter for them

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for that list! Good information....
Thanks for your effort,
Chrisgl1800

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
The Pure One filter is NOT recommended for Motorcycle applications...

In this day and age of World Marketing, some of the filters listed may be assembled in other countries even though it may be an American based company.

Also, there is no such item for years as an AMSOIL SMF-103. They were replaced several years ago with the new Nano Fiber EAOM-103 .

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
43 Posts
As a NAPA storeowner, I can tell you that you have the right listing. Its made my Wix....see the similar part number? But, NAPA also has an economy brand, part # 21358, as well as a Power Sport version, part number PS1358. Wix is one of the best filters on the market and I will use nothing but them when available. To me, it doesn't make sense to skip a few dollars on a filter when you consider that you spend less than $30.00 per year on them on a regular basis. But, as a pilot, I have learned that aircraft owners are notoriously cheapos! I haven't been around Wing owners long enough to draw an opinion. :-[)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
You are referring to the NAPA Silver, I suppose, when listing the 21358.

Do you know who makes that particular filter ?

I always recommend that if someone is not going to use the AMSOIL filter, EAOM-103, which are the best money can buy, to use a WIX or NAPA Gold. They are very good filters.

As you, I can not understand having such an investment and not running quality oil and filters. In the long run, you are not saving anything and most likely costing money.

Oil, is the LifeBlood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I have learned that aircraft owners are notoriously cheapos! I haven't been around Wing owners long enough to draw an opinion.
Some are worst than pilots, All the pilots I know are very picky about what they use to take them into the air, but a lot of GW owners will spend $20,000 + on a bike and try to save $2.00 on a after market part. I use Honda filters and get them Honda Direct Line, 10 at a time and it runs about $8.00 each. I keep about 4 and sell the rest to friends that have Gold Wings. The ST 1300, GL 1500, GL 1800, VTX 1300 & VTX 1800 all use the same filter.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have learned that aircraft owners are notoriously cheapos! I haven't been around Wing owners long enough to draw an opinion.
Some are worst than pilots,.......... All the pilots I know are very picky about what they use .....
Highlight one: Not all pilots think alike.....:D

Highlight two: Yes we are, we know our life depends on it and does the research just because the old habits tells us so....:cool:

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
At the risk of getting myself in dutch with the general population of Goldwing owners, we as a particular owner group are branded as penny pinchers. I refuse to use the word cheap since we buy and ride a very expensive motorcycle. That is not to say that we don't search far and wide for a great deal, even to the point of buying a plane ticket to cross several states or provinces to save a few hundred bucks. Glean from that what you will.
As for pilots being cheap, understand that most G/A pilots do it for the love of flying, and at the cost of owning and maintaining a certified aircraft today, many are driven to searching for deals to keep the outrageous costs manageable. The FAA and MOT (USA and Cdn) governing bodies have made it so restrictive and expensive to have their seal of approval on a/c parts and service items and the associated costs that result is some pilot/owners will jobber things if they can dodge certified parts (although the part may come from Pep Boys rather than an aeronautical shop e.g. alternators). If you are a paid commercial pilot (don't confuse this with the lucky ones that fly for the majors or corporate magnates [don't mean to single you out here fl510] in the sex machines of the air) working in a small charter outfit you get paid peanuts for what it costs to become certified to do the s**t shifts and grunt ramp work. Most commercial pilots in that setting make less than a fast food store shift manager, and the key to the golden arches back door didn't cost you $200k. Fun for a while yes, but not financially viable.
I personally keep my plane fully and professionally maintained with strictly approved parts, as I'm sure most dedicated 'professionally minded' flyers would. It's not like you can just turn on the signal lght and pull over after all; it's your a$$ and your passengers and your aircraft at stake so why risk it? There's enough that can go sideways up there without factoring in dime store patch repairs into the mix. Don't mean this to be a rant, it's just that some things are relative to certain situations and in some cases necessity may dictate doing what is required to get from point A to point B and back again. I don't condone by-passing directives just to save money. Especially if it affects airworthiness.
Hey Kim, looks like some more common ground buddy, or should I say air?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts