Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike like many other Wings has linked breaks. While sounds simple Idon’t know exactly how they work. Does matter which lever you use? (foot or hand) Does the first one you activate, come on first or they work exactly in tandem?
I was told not to use the hand break at very low speed in parking lot etc. or I will drop the bike. If they are linked , what is the difference.
Someone that knows please help.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Applying the rear brake pedal activates the left front brake also.
Activating the front brake lever activates both front brakes and the rear brake.
That as simple as it can be explained.
The sequence of braking or the timing of application, matters not. You use the front brake and different "pucks" activate that when you use the rear brake.
Use front and rear together and all "pucks" activate.
Not sure I'd listen to someone telling me not to use the front brake. I usually apply the rear first, then apply the front to make the final stop with my feet down(when I was 2 wheeled, that is).

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
My bike like many other Wings has linked breaks. While sounds simple Idon’t know exactly how they work. Does matter which lever you use? (foot or hand) Does the first one you activate, come on first or they work exactly in tandem?
I was told not to use the hand break at very low speed in parking lot etc. or I will drop the bike. If they are linked , what is the difference.
Someone that knows please help.
My friend I wouldn't use the front brake in a slow turn or when your front wheel isn't going to be straight on stopping. When you do it you will understand.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
the brake lever works only one front brake ( right side i do bleave ), the pedal works the other front brake and the rear brake. the lever is not connected to the rear brakes in any way on 1100 wings with linked brakes and all 1200 and 1500 wings. 1800 wings work differently than the others

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
For the uninitiated a quick explanation of LBS. A second master cylinder and a three-stage proportional control valve (PCV) to couple the three-piston calipers of the dual-front and single-rear brake discs.

Using the front brake lever activates the outer two pistons of the front right-side caliper and the center piston of the front left-side caliper and, acting through the secondary master cylinder and an inline proportioning valve, the outer two pistons of the rear caliper.

The rear brake pedal operates the center piston of the rear brake caliper, the center piston of the front right-side brake caliper and the outer two pistons of the front left-side caliper. A delay valve sensitive to the rider's pedal pressure smooths front brake engagement. Phew, got all that?
From an unknown source. Someone posted a nice schematic of this, but it's easier to remember WHAT than to remember WHERE.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
the brake lever works only one front brake ( right side i do bleave ), the pedal works the other front brake and the rear brake. the lever is not connected to the rear brakes in any way on 1100 wings with linked brakes and all 1200 and 1500 wings. 1800 wings work differently than the others
Thank you for explaining the differences between the models.

On the 1500 I thought the hand brake only activated one of the disk brakes in front and the pedal activated the rear brakes and the other front disk brake.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
I went looking for that diagram too but didn't find it. At least you posted that excellent print version. Beat me to the punch buddy.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.