Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone...has been awhile since i have been on. Am hoping you guys can help with this so i can repair it myself. Rode my '94 1500 SE last weekend...noticed right off something wrong. When in gear,clutch released or not,the dash turn signal indicators are lit very dimly,if turn signals are used they blink VERY rapidly,and all the running lites on the rear and side trunks are inop.
When in neutral all is normal,and when in 5th gear the OD lite is working. Any help is greatly apreciated. No more riding her until this is repaired. Thanks everyone. Ken:confused:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sounds like you have a short somewhere if the relay is clicking fast it would be some where after that. If the relay was not working I would say that it would be towards the switch. Have you done or had any work done on the rear end and where they working before ? I would look for a pinched wire and check the fuses. Hal

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hal,Relaced rear tire app. 5k ago,which was over a year ago. All ok on ride before this. The bike stays garaged on center stand. I guess pulling the seat is the 1st order of business here?

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Had a similar problem on my 93 Aspencade several years ago. Found a bad ground wire located under the set on the left side inside one of the big clam shell covers. Can't check tonight but tomorrow I can pull the seat and get more exact information for you.

·
Registered
334 Posts
When I got my 85 aspy about two years ago it had extra lights on it,my son was ridding it while I was on my 84 aspy. It was getting dark so he turned on the extra lights on and we were sitting at a light and the bike just died. We got it pushed in to a parking lot and checked the main fuse it was blown. Replaced it and did not turn the extra lights back on bike fired up ok. After checking found a wire going to rear lights shorted between the rear fender. Also the po had put a 40 amp fuse in for the lights instead of 10 amp the 30 amp main fuse blew. I repaired the wire and replaced the light fuse with the proper one Good Luck Hal

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ron,i will pull the seat tomorrow and give a good look see. I appreciate your offer to make sure of that location.will let u know if i see anything obvious. Maybe something has come loose or gotten pinched since the tire was done. You guys are the best.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
If I recall right it was a green wire located in the upper inside corner. Couldn't see anything obvious from the out side the pin in the connector were bad, had solder a jumper to by-pass the pins in the connector

·
Registered
674 Posts
normally when I come across a weird problem like this, I start with what doesnt work.
It is a good idea to recheck any recent work. I worked on a Eldorado years ago when you hit the brakes every light on the dash lit. it turned out that the right rear Brake light bulb blew out and the wire inside the bulb fell down and shorted the turning signal circuit to ground. So try to keep it simple at first
On the other hand you may just need a Gremlin bell.:eek:

·
Administrator
28,998 Posts
Welcome back to the fold. I'm betting on the bad ground that Ron indicated. What you describe sounds like typical grounding issues. The only thing I can add is take the ground off & clean everything well. Dirt & corrosion is a bad thing.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's (& Ron's) opinion.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
OK, I took the seat off and looked at the connector in question. Once the seat is off, the connector is local under the passenger portion of the seat on the left side. Two tabs hold the cover closed. It is the green wire Located at the top inside corner.
Today I open the spade connector I had installed and turned the key on. All lights seemed to be working, but the both turn indicator were dimly lit, squeezed the front brake both indicator got bright. Turned on either turn signal and both indicator flashed.
Sorry didn't try it with the bike running. Things might have changed once the bike was running and all relays were active
You might it with out the bike running and see if it's the same as mine. If it is try opening the connector and flushing that pin out good with contact cleaner from Radio shack.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Success!! Thanks for that seat pull Ron. I just got mine off,powered up and did some gentle tugging on harnesses...BINGO!! Green wire in outside corner of left side blue connector....female side burnt up,so will bypass connector as u did. Thanks so much EVERYONE for your input. That's why THIS FORUM is the BEST !!! If i didnt have so much other stuff to do today i could go riding! Is gorgeous day here in FL. Ken

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
You might want to put a set of push connector in that jumper just in case you ever have to open that big plug.
Glad that was the problem, after I didn't have any more Ideas :eek:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK,repair comlpleted. Yes,Ron,I did install a spade connector in my bypass wire for future tire changes etc. Also,as reference for all,problem was there,running or not,with key in "run" position. Thanks again. I hope i can pay this forward to someone soon. Ken

·
Super Moderator
12,269 Posts
Good job, Ron. That's definitely one to remember for future reference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts