Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya Folks

I finally got my RAM mount for my GPS(NUVI)
Now I am wondering.

What is the best way to bring power to it.
I would like to have the power control my ignition switch.

So.. should I put a lighter socket(if yes, where?) somewhere or should I use my speciality cable and find a switched power?

next, which is the best switch power to connect it too?

GL1500 SE 1990 :D

thanks

Paul

·
Registered
52 Posts
Switched power for sure, I used the cable supplied and went to the accessory terminal on the fuse block. Hope this helps.

Heya Folks

I finally got my RAM mount for my GPS(NUVI)
Now I am wondering.

What is the best way to bring power to it.
I would like to have the power control my ignition switch.

So.. should I put a lighter socket(if yes, where?) somewhere or should I use my speciality cable and find a switched power?

next, which is the best switch power to connect it too?

GL1500 SE 1990 :D

thanks

Paul

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
On my GL1800 I have a 12v outlet in the left front pocket which is tied into the ignition. So when the ignition is on so is the outlet. I then drilled a whole in the cover (mine is hard, yours is vinyl I think) and ran the wire out the whole to connect to my GPS unit. Can't help with the installation because I had it installed by the dealer when I bought the bike.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You must use the GPS cord with the male lighter socket connector, so you have to use a lighter socket. On my 2008, I installed the honda lighter socket in the left front pocket as mentioned above. Remove the pocket box, cut out or press out the hole if you have one. I also found a factory wire plug made for the lighter, that is connected to the ignition / accessory power.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
was hoping to get answer.

I will connect right to the accessory panel on the fuse box.
I have a special cable made for my nuvy which I used on my old bike
I dont need the lighter socket.. but I was thinking that the lighter socket would be more useful

thaks folks

·
Registered
402 Posts
You might want to check the voltage at the connector that plugs into your GPS before you start. Sometimes, GPSs cords have circuitry that reduces the voltage to the GPS unit. You don't want to bypass something and fry your NUVI.

I almost cut the cord for my Magellan Explorist when hardwiring my ATV for a handheld. Checked the connector before making the cut and discovered the output voltage was somewhere around 5-6 volts.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might want to check the voltage at the connector that plugs into your GPS before you start. Sometimes, GPSs cords have circuitry that reduces the voltage to the GPS unit. You don't want to bypass something and fry your NUVI.

I almost cut the cord for my Magellan Explorist when hardwiring my ATV for a handheld. Checked the connector before making the cut and discovered the output voltage was somewhere around 5-6 volts.

Just a thought...

There is small transformer included with that cable.
I have it all installed and on the accessory of the fuse box.

thanks your all your help folks..

going riding now

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is actually very nice Carl.. I connected it direct to fuse box.. but I might add the lighter socket.. It might be better in long run

Cheers

Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts