Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started the bike today and when it came down to idle speed, I heard a "ticking" sound that I had not noticed before. The bike is used, '06 GL1800. Is this a valve noise. The dealer said they did a tune-up and checked everything over before I purchased the bike. It has 3,000 miles on it.

Thoughts?
Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is the "HONDA TICK", I had been told it is NORMAL. I had my values adjusted after 50,000km (Canadian Bike). My bike with 125,000 km still have the HONDA TICK. After awhile you get use to it...IT IS A BEAUTIFUL noise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't know what my noise is in mine but my has a chatter when deceleration and sometimes when I back it up. Kinda worried it is worse than Honda tick.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
What year and model Wing do you have?
Please fill in your profile so we can help you.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
My '06 has a slight tick as well. Only on the left side. At one point I wondered whether it was related to a spark plug wire, but with lights out I don't see any arcing or anything and it never seems to get better or worse. I kind of lost interest 50,000km ago and just ignore it :wink2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 1995 1500 GW with 2007 champion trike kit...126k miles.
Have replaced 10k ago alternator, water pump & timing belts.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Previous GLs (1200 and 1500) had hydraulic valve trains so there was no adjustment on them. The 1800 has "silent" chain driven cams with adjustable valves but so seldom is there any adjustment needed on them. There are members here that have over 100k miles without adjustments. Not saying it couldn't be a slight off, but it' isn't likely. Honda ATVs and 4 stroke off road bikes are somewhat famous for a slight tick in the upper engine (head) area. Doesn't always mean there is anything actually wrong.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Are we talking about injectors firing here? This thread was ten years old, until yesterday.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Are we talking about injectors firing here? This thread was ten years old, until yesterday.
good point, I only looked at the most recent post...oops.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Thank you for posting a pic, now I know what model Wing you have. Did you have the ticking sound prior to changing the timing belts or after they were changed?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts