Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening Y'all,

I am making preparations for the first oil change on my trike. In all the video's I have watched it shows the bike being raised
and level when draining oil from the 3 drain plugs under the DCT model. In the attached photo you can see that I backed the rear wheels up on ramps and left the front tire on the garage floor. This gives me plenty of room to work under the bike. Is there a problem draining the oil with the bike in this unlevel position or should I use my jack to raise the front end as well? TIA.

Paul
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

1,206 Posts
Good evening Y'all,

I am making preparations for the first oil change on my trike. In all the video's I have watched it shows the bike being raised
and level when draining oil from the 3 drain plugs under the DCT model. In the attached photo you can see that I backed the rear wheels up on ramps and left the front tire on the garage floor. This gives me plenty of room to work under the bike. Is there a problem draining the oil with the bike in this unlevel position or should I use my jack to raise the front end as well? TIA.

Paul View attachment 282987
I do not have one, but would guess that there could be a pocket or 2 where oil may not drain from. If you are able, Id say that level would be best.

· Registered
686 Posts
I also have a trike................. What I did was to cut three 4x4 boards 17inch long, and raise the rear and place a 4x4 under each wheel, and than raise the front and place another 4x4 under the front wheel........ Now your trike is level, and you have more than enough room, to work under it and to place a oil catch pan, under the engine drain plug..

Ronnie
1/27/23

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ronnie.
My oil filters should arrive today. Since the rear wheels are still on top of the ramps as shown in the photo I suppose I will measure the height of the rear tires above the garage floor and fabricate, out of scrap wood, a support to place under the front tire after lifting the front end with my floor jack.
Paul

1,206 Posts
Thanks Ronnie.
My oil filters should arrive today. Since the rear wheels are still on top of the ramps as shown in the photo I suppose I will measure the height of the rear tires above the garage floor and fabricate, out of scrap wood, a support to place under the front tire after lifting the front end with my floor jack.
Paul
Or buy a third ramp.

· Registered
686 Posts
Thanks Ronnie.
Paul
Go the easiest route, :unsure:to lift your trike, and have three boards ready to place under each wheel....You have a jack already, so just lift up the rear, and place both boards under each wheel, warn'n here(PUT BIKE IN FIRST GEAR/SO IT WILL NOT ROLL) then jack up front, and place the third board under the front wheel........Bike is now level, high'rrr and easier to service,
enjoy the oil change (I know your bike's engine will "thank you'..lol)

Ronnie
1/30/23

· Registered
2021 Goldwing DCT Tour, candy ardent red
461 Posts
I don’t understand. Isn’t my idea the easiest one? Put a board behind all 3 tires, start it up and back it into the boards….

1 - 9 of 9 Posts