Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '87 1200 Aspencade and I've noticed a ticking from the heads, it used to be on the left side but now I think it's starting on the right too. I posted something similar to this a couple months ago and someone suggested the exhaust gaskets might be leaking causing the ticking sound so I replaced those and no change. I talked with a friend who used to work on Goldwings and he suggested using 20 50 oil, didn't make much difference. He also said that at least on the 1200's, Honda machined the holes too deep sometimes and so there's too much room for the adjuster which will cause it to click when the lifter hits it. He said I could try shimming it to see if I could get the free play out of it. Has any one had this issue and if so what was the resolution? I've been told that's "just the way they are" but I don't know if that's true either. Are there any negative long term effects from not addressing this situation? Love to hear any suggestions. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
150 Posts
hi hank. the lifter tick comes from a partially blocked oil galley. Oil travels up through the engine to the cyl head where there is a galley or gathering area where it is pressurized to enter the lifter boss an the lifters themselves. A very small amount of dirt can cause your problem. opening up the cyl head galley is simple an spraying an aerosol carb cleaner through all affected passageways usually works. remove each lifter an spray individually,but do not collapse them. look in your manual for the oil passages.

·
Super Moderator
9,873 Posts
Ticking scares me. I had a problem with my 98 GL1500 on the way to the Honda Hoot while traveling through VA. I said to my daughter do you hear that ticking? Turned out that the oil was blocked from the front right cylinder with a piece of silicone which came dislodged from when they sealed the engine. Bottom line was over $2,300 repair bill. I had the extended warranty, so cost to me was $9 for overnight shipping of a part they did not have in stock. Hope your problem is not as serious.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Engine smoking, ticking noise.

A friend just had a similar problem. He started his GL1200 after sitting for several days. He said it smoked badly out of the left side exhaust and had a slight ticking. It seems to have corrected itself, but we would like to know where to look for a problem.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Towbiz, It's common for the 1200's to smoke for a bit on the left side after sitting for a time. The design of the engine lets a small amount of oil leak into the cylinders on that side because it sits low when the bike is on the side stand. If you use the center stand this will not happen.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Towbiz, It's common for the 1200's to smoke for a bit on the left side after sitting for a time. The design of the engine lets a small amount of oil leak into the cylinders on that side because it sits low when the bike is on the side stand. If you use the center stand this will not happen.
That's the story I heard over and over again from basket case sellers, oh, it sat on the left, blah blah blah, BULL SHIT. Please show me how this can happen if all the gaskets are functioning and the oil is nice and comfortable, please do so !!! Is it being pumped against gravity by a garage door opener? PLEASE !:eek:

Lifters ticking = bent (overheated) or not lubricated, simple as that.
Stop sticking silicone at places where it can't be wiped off before it dries, stop using "certified" mechanics and certify yourself God damn it or you ass should not be on 2 wheels.

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
easy astor123, not everyone is confident in working on their bike and some are like me. i am limited in what i can do because of an injury and no place to work on the bikes. i do all i can though

·
Registered
469 Posts
Well...Astor; You sound like one ANGERY:mad: person, no amount of explaining will satisfy someone like you.:rolleyes: The oil will gravity feed a small amount past the piston rings when the bike is left on the side stand.
I never heard of oil being "comfortable" or uncomfortable either.
Just take a DEEP breath and think about it logically; The cylinder is lower than the crank case in this situation. As far as "garge door openers" go..you got me there..all I know is they go up & down....:D:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts