Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that upon start up I have a quick 1 to 2 seconds of lifter noise. It doesn't do it anymore. Just on start up. Is this normal or should I adjust my valves? Bike has 18000 on it.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody else have this? Man I was hoping to have some form of a reply by now. I won't go to the dealership. Don't trust them. I will tear it up myself before that. LOL

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
Nobody else have this? Man I was hoping to have some form of a reply by now. I won't go to the dealership. Don't trust them. I will tear it up myself before that. LOL

What sound is it ? Tap,tap, tap..........

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep like a lifter tap or an exhaust header leak. It just does it when I first start it. I just changed the oil to AMSOIL 10w40 too. It was doing it before the oil change as well.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
I'll start my bike up today and make special note of any noises issuing from the valve cover area.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
well it can't be a lifter tap, your wing doesn't have lifters

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Possible dry start caused by a malfunctioning anti-drainback valve in the oil filter.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Premium Member
6,721 Posts
Nope no worries, you're hearing the injectors. Mine has done it since new & it now has over 50,000 miles on her. All is well!

Mark

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Possible dry start caused by a malfunctioning anti-drainback valve in the oil filter.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob
Please tell me this isn't true because I just changed the oil and filter. All of which I got from you. LOL

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll start my bike up today and make special note of any noises issuing from the valve cover area.
Thanks, I would like to know if you have a sound that sounds like lifter tap at start up and very quickly goes away. Apparently these bikes don't have lifters according to one of the posts. Thanks for shedding light on that by the way. I have read that while the bike sits on the side stand overnight, the oil pools on the left side and takes a second to pump it to the right side upon startup. Don't know if there is any truth to this or not?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Please tell me this isn't true because I just changed the oil and filter. All of which I got from you. LOL
It can happen regardless what the brand is.. It is not a common problem, just a possibility

The question is, did it do it before ? ..

If it didn't, I will send you a filter, no problem. Let me know and it will be in the mail Priorty Ship from my personal inventory.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you Bob but no it was doing it before. I guess I'll just monitor it and if it gets worse, I'll have to check in to it. For now it is very minor but I have always had a keen ear to engine noises. It's just that motorcycles make totally different noises than cars do. And a lot more of it.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Thanks for your honesty.

My wife and I also have a candle business (Bloomin Candle Crafts) and stand behind our products 100% just as I do with AMSOIL.

Because we use wood wicks, every once in a while, we have a candle that doesn't burn properly. I don't hesitate and ship out a new candle at no cost. Customer service is where it is at. I need to tune mine (customer service) up a bit.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.