Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some one recommend a good lift I can buy to work on my goldwing. Some thing I can do general service and maintenance
with. Do not have a garage so would appreciate any input on a nice cover

Thanks

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
GW Lift

I'm waiting with baited breath to see if anything decent comes up.

I have seen a few horrible examples of hydraulic lifts that I wouldn't be game to put my bike on. I tested one I was thinking of buying, but when the run up ramp bent as I was running the bike up .... well I thought maybe not !:eek:

Don't buy on price alone would be my advice.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I looked at others online and might have spent the extra for another brand except for the shipping costs.

In the end, I bought mine at Harbor Freight for $400.
It's rated for 1000 lbs. It works fine. It is solid.
The only issue I had was the width.
There is no place to put my feet so I welded 1 1/2 angle iron strips down the sides up to where my feet would be.
It also now works on my lawn tractor.

Also, added a wheel chock for $30 so now it doesn't require a kickstand,

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Don't know what kind of work you plan to do on your Wing, but unless you are really going to get serious about big time service work, a lift is not needed. When I got my Wing I sold my lift. With one old sissors jack and the center stand I get both wheels off the ground at the same time for cleaning, or even wheel removal. Sometimes the obvious is not. Good Luck.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I went a bit overboard, I got a RML-750HD ATV/motorcycle lift table made in the USA from Ranger,it has a 1650 lb capacity..comes with full length side extensions..3 ramps, is air over hydraulics.
I can use it for my lawn tractor too! I have back & knee issues,so crawling around on the floor doesn't work for me.:D

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Make sure all those HarborFright(misspelling intended)jacks and other variations of same have Grade 8 bolts in them!
Do you really want to trust your approx. $20,000 bike to a $100 jack!
or a $400 table for that matter!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Make sure all those HarborFright(misspelling intended)jacks and other variations of same have Grade 8 bolts in them!
I've been using this HF the last 4 years for my Venture with no issues. Seemed to be sturdy and safe. Used it a lot for maintenance, cleaning and the like.
http://www.harborfreight.com/interests/motorcycle/1500-lb-capacity-atv-motorcycle-lift-2792.html

My next purchase will be a quality table. I want it to last 15 years because thats what I figure I have left for riding a 2 wheeler.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts

I do trust my bike on this lift.
I agree that the buyer should beware and I am skeptical on things made in China; however, I inspected mine for design and tip over concerns as well as materials used.

I cannot find a reason not to feel confident with it. Even a grade 2, 8mm bolt takes about 4000 lbs of force to deform it. (a 8 mm is about the size of a 3/8 bolt)

A lift typically has 4 points where the weight is distributed. That means the weight is equally divided by 4.

All that together means about 220 lbs is weighing on each point that has the ability to withstand 4000 lbs. ( and that is deformation not shear).

I believe the structure is sound, the hydraulic jack is more than adequate and the safety bar is about an inch thick. If used properly, it is not possible to drop a bike or a car on this lift.

The real concern is tip over where the weight tips to one side causing the lift to flip. This applies to all brands and designs.
That is why I sold my small one that rolls around for this one even tho' it was rated at 1500 lbs.

Like another posted, I am tired of laying on the ground to change oil and clean tires. I use mine for my bike repairs, cleaning and for the lawn tractor as well. I park my bike on it everyday so it doesn't take up space in the garage. And when I need a table, I back off the bike and lift it up. It works for me.

If I quit posting then maybe all this was bs :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts