Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, just joined. Bought my first Goldwing. 90 1500 se. Warehouse find, only 2693?(need to verify) miles on it. I've rebuilt the rear master, and bled all the lines.
I've also rebuilt the carbs, but turned out they were clean.
What say ye?https://youtu.be/JDwSBd-auxo

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,734 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Down Under. Congratulations on your new to you 1500 Goldwing. It looks a good bike.

·
Super Moderator
10,949 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
27,604 Posts
Looks great, I would change the timing belts & tires if you don't know if they were ever done. If that are the originals then they are mighty old.

Welcome to the GWOF from PA.

·
Super Moderator
13,836 Posts
Very nice looking bike. Enjoy the miles ahead and welcome to you from Mississippi.

·
Premium Member
5,962 Posts
Howdy and welcome from Virginia!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Looks great, I would change the timing belts & tires if you don't know if they were ever done. If that are the originals then they are mighty old.

Welcome to the GWOF from PA.
Tires are next as they are the original. I thought about the timing belts. Do they change out easily?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bran spankin' new ! Nice. I have one too. Never been rode by me, but it used to be by the fellow behind the windshield.
Yours looks great! Mine has 20th anniversary badges on it, Does yours? What's the difference?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,498 Posts
Yours looks great! Mine has 20th anniversary badges on it, Does yours? What's the difference?
No it doesn't . I don't know what year it is. The color looks similar .I won it by guessing the color. Sierra green, I believe ???????

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
26,011 Posts
The first 1500 I ever saw was the teal green. Nicely done!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the warm welcome! Im looking forward our first trip on it. Gotta finish going through it though. Brakes and fluids complete, tires and timing belts next. Anything else prone to fail? Fyi, i need a right mirror, any color is fine as I'll pull the glass and use it

·
Super Moderator
27,604 Posts
Tires are next as they are the original. I thought about the timing belts. Do they change out easily?
So yes they do change fairly easy. It at first is a bit hair raising thinking about it, but once you are done you say "Hmm that was easy".

Also I would change those belts, stop thinking about it. If one let's go it will not be good.

Last time I checked NAPA still carries them (Gates) and they were about $80. for a pair. I'm sure you can probably do less cost on the internet.

Additionally I would pick up a shop manual or Clymers manual if you don't already have one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So yes they do change fairly easy. It at first is a bit hair raising thinking about it, but once you are done you say "Hmm that was easy".

Also I would change those belts, stop thinking about it. If one let's go it will not be good.

Last time I checked NAPA still carries them (Gates) and they were about $80. for a pair. I'm sure you can probably do less cost on the internet.

Additionally I would pick up a shop manual or Clymers manual if you don't already have one.

Thanks for the advise, local dealer wants $70+ for each belt. But all they sell are goldwings. I have a clymers manual but i find it to be woefully lacking in detail. I'll pick up a Honda shop manual.

·
Super Moderator
27,604 Posts
I have a Clymers and understand what you mean, but I found the section on timing belt change to be fairly good.

I changed my 1500 belts in a few hours, taking my time to be correct. Just make sure you index your cams at top dead center as described in the manual.

Oh.....and get ready to ride tons of miles!

:)

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. My first wing was an "89" 1500. Lucky find for you. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a Clymers and understand what you mean, but I found the section on timing belt change to be fairly good.

I changed my 1500 belts in a few hours, taking my time to be correct. Just make sure you index your cams at top dead center as described in the manual.

Oh.....and get ready to ride tons of miles!

/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

As you recommended I just went to O'Reilly's and ordered Gates belts, my cost for both totaled 60 bucks so I'm very pleased. They'll be here tomorrow. So now off to study the manual. Now if only I could decide on a set of tires. I'm sure on this board nobody has an opinion on tires or oil for that matter.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Barrrrrrely Broken In -

Hey Emerald - What a Great Find, these bikes are known to go well over the 200k mile mark with only a little basic care . One observation that I might point out though - is that only the lower trip counter in the speedometer face @ 215.8 has the 1/10th of a mile (white) digit. The upper odometer digits indicate the mileage on your bike in whole numbers.

Even @ 26,386 miles - your GW is a real time capsule and just barrrrrrely broken in. :)

Good Luck and Ride Safe Michael

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Emerald - What a Great Find, these bikes are known to go well over the 200k mile mark with only a little basic care . One observation that I might point out though - is that only the lower trip counter in the speedometer face @ 215.8 has the 1/10th of a mile (white) digit. The upper odometer digits indicate the mileage on your bike in whole numbers.

Even @ 26,386 miles - your GW is a real time capsule and just barrrrrrely broken in. /forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Good Luck and Ride Safe Michael
Oops, i hadn't ridden it watch it. I assumed it was a 1/10. Thanks for the clarification.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts