Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! As you see this is post number one for me...I pick up the new-to-me '94 tomorrow morning. I'm excited about it...other bikes in the garage are a Kawi Concours, VFR, and supermoto. I expect the Wing will replace the Connie and the VFR. The Wing is in great shape, just 45k, and my only concern after the test ride is that //a// the clutch lever is super stiff and I can't imagine dealing with that in traffic, and //b// the front brake also requires Herculean effort...and none of the other three bikes require more than two fingers for full-fledged emergency stops. As a sport rider, I don't have any kind of rear brake habit other than the occasional trailing brake in turns. In other words, I pretty much only use my front brake. The Wing took all four fingers in a non-panic stop, which is a concern to this Wing noob.

So...long boring story later...is the huge effort on both Wing levers something I will just have get used to? I'm kind of amazed at the effort required. Could it be an indication of something that requires attention? Maybe I'm just not used to stopping a 900 pound bike? I have done a lot of reading and haven't seen other complaints about the lever pull.

Other than that, I can tell the Wing will suit my riding needs really well and I'm excited about having such a comfortable touring bike. Any thoughts on the lever pull are welcome.

·
Super Moderator
12,286 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

I would say the brakes and clutch are way overdue for servicing. There is no reason the levers should pull that hard. If the fluid has never been changed, there is a good possibility of rust and/or corrosion in the system. A good flushing might be all that is needed.

·
Super Moderator
15,177 Posts
hello jeff, welcome to GWOF. seems like a calaper rebuild might be nessary

·
Premium Member
11,289 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Down Under.
Unlike your other bike's the left front brake and the rear brake are linked and are operated by the rear break pedal. So if you are trying to stop this bike with the front brake lever, you are trying to stop with one front disk only. It will take a bit of practise to get use to linked brakes.
The clutch may need to be bled.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Down Under.
Unlike your other bike's the left front brake and the rear brake are linked and are operated by the rear break pedal. So if you are trying to stop this bike with the front brake lever, you are trying to stop with one front disk only. It will take a bit of practise to get use to linked brakes.
The clutch may need to be bled.
not to get off the subject to far ( and I dont require hard effort on my 98 w/70K, so dont think this is normal)...

the 1500's are linked to? I was under the impression they were not. my front always felt a little sticky, but if your saying they are linked, its no wonder they feel that way. Ill have to pay more attention how they work when applied equally.

·
Premium Member
11,289 Posts
not to get off the subject to far ( and I dont require hard effort on my 98 w/70K, so dont think this is normal)...

the 1500's are linked to? I was under the impression they were not. my front always felt a little sticky, but if your saying they are linked, its no wonder they feel that way. Ill have to pay more attention how they work when applied equally.
Both my 1200 and my 1500 have linked brakes. The front brake lever operates just the right front disk. My 1500 is a 1995.

·
Premium Member
16,687 Posts
If you can't do it yourself, then I would recommend having the brake and clutch systems checked out.
If you are just using the front brake lever to stop the bike it will do it but using both the hand brake (only right front caliper) and the foot brake (left front and left rear calipers) is going to make stopping a lot easier. I'd still recommend at least have both the brake and clutch systems flushed. If the fluid in the site glass is looking like tea, it's way past time to service them. It should look almost clear.

·
Super Moderator
15,177 Posts
all goldwings made from 1983 on have linked brakes

·
Super Moderator
12,286 Posts
If the pivot bolts were that bad, the levers wouldn't return.

·
Premium Member
24,530 Posts
Welcome Jeff. Ditto on what's already been mentioned. I'd also add that a good cleaning of the pistons (or a rebuild like detdr said) and caliper assembly is overdue. Neither clutch or brake levers should require that "herculean" effort you mention. Two fingers on the brake yes, maybe a tad more on the clutch should be all that's required (but use your full hand for safety).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.