Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of purchasing an older goldwing early to mid 80's vintage. I came across a beauty, an 86 with less than 5K miles. My concern was whether or not Honda had fixed the stator problems by 86. Was it peculiar to the 1200cc or for that matter what years were the most troublesome for the stators. I would hate to put out good money for a GW then another 1000 dollars to replace the stator. Best to have some knowledge of what I am getting into before I buy the GW and not after. Also when should the timing chain/belt be changed out? Lastly what should I be looking out for when buying an older GW. Thanks for your help....Shadowvts

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi shadowvts, sounds like a nice find. 1984-early 1985 was the worst years for stators but all 1200s have this problem. the stator connector plug by the battery is the problem on a lot of wings. we eliminate them by hard wiring them. also keep the aftermarket accessories to a minimum, they draw a lot of voltage which translates into heat in the harness. timing belts need replaced around 40.000 miles. we've had failed belts in the shop at 48000 before.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts