Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can you tell me about the stators going out? Is ther a certain milage where the normally go out? I was talking to a guy at the show today, and he told me that before he bought his first wing, he was talking the a mechanic, and he asked him if there was anything you can do to make it lasrt longer before they go out, and this guy told him not to put extra lights on.

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
Anything that lessens the draw on it will help. I'm changing all the extra lighting on mine to LEDs to help.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mine was changed by Honda back in the day. The original owner told me it went out at around 30k. I would have sworn that there was no problem with mine...until yesterday. I was cutting/soldering/splicing in the "kit" and when I got to the "3 yellows" I was shocked (cheap pun) to see that the plug was half melted and one of the wires was rather brown/burnt in color. I chopped out the plug and soldered them together and I HOPE all is well. I put a new gel battery last August and have not touched it since. That was 1500 miles ago. So far so good.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
check the plug at the rectifier too

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
+1 on running the least amount of power,YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REPLACE THE STATOR!! You can put in a poor boy kit which is if you dont already know a alternator that runs off the timing belt center pulley! Has worked for lots of guys and will be my fix for the stator when it goes!!! You can get more info on the GL 1200 site here is the link http://gl1200goldwings.com/index.php?sid=aa220bb2c4b1151b6b495e5b373273c9

·
Registered
455 Posts
What can you tell me about the stators going out? Is ther a certain milage where the normally go out? I was talking to a guy at the show today, and he told me that before he bought his first wing, he was talking the a mechanic, and he asked him if there was anything you can do to make it lasrt longer before they go out, and this guy told him not to put extra lights on.
It's all about corrosion and electrical resistance, other words, "HEAT" ultimately shorting out the stator. Actually, nothing really wrong with the stator in the first place.
First off make sure the wiring is not melted, if so, have it repaired ASAP, then keep your finger crossed.
My 84 was charging just fine at 72,000, of course I removed the plug and installed individual connectors to the wiring. I applied plenty of Dielectric grease and made sure the area remained clean and dry.
Trust me, you "DO NOT" want to replace the stator, it is one more task if you do it yourself or very, very expensive if you find someone willing to do it for you.

my 2 cents

1 - 6 of 6 Posts