Honda Goldwing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Even just standing still they feel "hard". Maybe it's just my feet.
Agree with you and @Cantankerous. I have em too! It would take 5 miles of sliding to grind through them (my feet would be untouched in a slide) but they completely suck to stand or walk around in.

·
Administrator
29,080 Posts
Loved my Tourmaster SC Response boots, sadly they did away with the original design. Tolerate my Alpinestar Ridge boots. Comfortable enough but the velcro closures are not very good.

Reactions: Luv2fish

·
Registered
2021 Gold Wing DCT
140 Posts
Can't speak to the saddle soap, but to stretch and loosen my leather riding gloves I use rubbing alcohol, as it doesn't leave a slippery residue like neatsfoot oil or saddle soap.
Well saddle soap was what the cowboys of yonder years, the real cowboys that is used to help soften the leather of a new saddle or one that had grown old and brittle and became kind of hardened from the elements. It's just one method and it does work, I know from personal experience but some find it a bit too much work for them. To each their own.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Well saddle soap was what the cowboys of yonder years, the real cowboys that is used to help soften the leather of a new saddle or one that had grown old and brittle and became kind of hardened from the elements. It's just one method and it does work, I know from personal experience but some find it a bit too much work for them. To each their own.
I'm sure it works great, I've just never used it, so I can't speak to it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
TCX Jupiter 4 GTX boots fit me great once I added arch support. I couldn't keep water from getting in a the low point at the back so bought a pair of TCX Airtech EVO GTX and the fitment is very different. The sole is much stiffer, the toe space is tighter, the heel cup is bigger, and they have a god-awful thick foam insole with no arch support. It's a shame that boot manufacturers don't use the same footbed across all of their products. Changing the insole made them tolerable but I hope to never have to walk in them very far. I'm sure they are more protective though.

Another fact to consider is that the man-made products used in a lot of boots doesn't stretch the way leather does. It will soften with use but that takes awhile.

·
Premium Member
2006 Honda GL1800, 1985 BMW R80RT
133 Posts
I have tried several different boots but always come back to the Tourmaster boots. They are comfortable from the start. They look similar to the Bilt boots but have more rounded edges on the sole.

I often wear cowboy boots riding back and forth to work as I can leave them on with business clothes. At least I can, if I keep them well-polished.;) If I wear the Tourmaster boots to work I have to change into dress shoes when I get there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This the only Goldwing forum that I am a member of but I do peruse the other ones as well. I don't see a lot of new posts anymore. So...that being said, I'll start one.

Has anyone purchased motorcycle specific boots that were comfortable right out of the box? Seems like any I try on are super stiff and very difficult to walk in. I realize a break in period is necessary but has anyone had luck with comfort right away?

I wear hiking boots right now and even they are not really comfortable to walk in since they are over the ankle.

I have tried mostly the brands they have at Cycle Gear (because I can actually try them on) but am reluctant to order any without fitting them.

Your thoughts?
TCX BOOTS
X-FIVE.4 gore-tex boots.
These are very comfortable and affordable.
I bought mine at Cycle Gear
You can also order at Refzilla.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This the only Goldwing forum that I am a member of but I do peruse the other ones as well. I don't see a lot of new posts anymore. So...that being said, I'll start one.

Has anyone purchased motorcycle specific boots that were comfortable right out of the box? Seems like any I try on are super stiff and very difficult to walk in. I realize a break in period is necessary but has anyone had luck with comfort right away?

I wear hiking boots right now and even they are not really comfortable to walk in since they are over the ankle.

I have tried mostly the brands they have at Cycle Gear (because I can actually try them on) but am reluctant to order any without fitting them.

Your thoughts?
I’ve not found any bike specific boots with good tarmac traction so I’ve got a good pair of safety toe work boots with non-slip soles

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought my TCX XS Sport boots at Cycle Gear because they were so comfortable they can be worn anywhere, on or off the Wing. I've had them for over 3 years and when they finally wear out I'll buy the same boots. Very comfortable yet protective. They cover the ankles but do not extend much further. Kind of like high-top basketball shoes but a little more coverage above the ankles.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Your thoughts?
So, I went with a 3/4 lace desert boot style. “Steel and Street” brand. Blk, ultra suede, with white rubber type sole. Kind of a hipster boot. Walked the caverons in carsbad, rode over 3400 miles with them. Good fit, finish and value. Digginlifeman 🤌🏽

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought my TCX XS Sport boots at Cycle Gear because they were so comfortable they can be worn anywhere, on or off the Wing. I've had them for over 3 years and when they finally wear out I'll buy the same boots. Very comfortable yet protective. They cover the ankles but do not extend much further. Kind of like high-top basketball shoes but a little more coverage above the ankles.
The ones you have are replaced with the ones I mentioned above. As you said, they are comfortable on or off the bike. I’ve had others, but like these best. Mine are well above the ankles… I would say about half way up my lower leg with excellent lower shin protection. I also like the ease of putting them on and taking them off… good zipper with dual Velcro flaps. I also like that they have good traction on the pavement.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wear Keen steel toe shoes to ride in. Waterproof and comfortable
I also have a pair of steel toe Doc Martins that are comfortable, but my concern with shoes and boots that are not made for motorcycle riding specifically is that they are lacking the shin protection. For that reason, and from trauma that I have seen to lower legs from MC wrecks in the hospital, I feel more comfortable with the additional heel and shin protection you get from a good biker pair if boots.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I wear a waterproof Gore-Tex boot from Cabela's. I used them at work and found them to be comfortable and kept my feet dry while working a 12 hr shift. Unfortunately, they don't carry them anymore so when these are worn out, I'll have to shop around for something similar.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I also have a pair of steel toe Doc Martins that are comfortable, but my concern with shoes and boots that are not made for motorcycle riding specifically is that they are lacking the shin protection. For that reason, and from trauma that I have seen to lower legs from MC wrecks in the hospital, I feel more comfortable with the additional heel and shin protection you get from a good biker pair if boots.
I may be shopping for new boots eventually. How far up the shin do you recommend?

I see that adventure boots are pretty high, but I'm assuming they are designed for rocks and branches and more frequent "get offs" than road riding. My primary concern with road riding has been the bike falling on my leg and sliding down the road, so my focus so far has been on ankle bone protection and a steel shank to prevent breaking my foot if it gets caught under the passenger floorboard.

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I may be shopping for new boots eventually. How far up the shin do you recommend?

I see that adventure boots are pretty high, but I'm assuming they are designed for rocks and branches and more frequent "get offs" than road riding. My primary concern with road riding has been the bike falling on my leg and sliding down the road, so my focus so far has been on ankle bone protection and a steel shank to prevent breaking my foot if it gets caught under the passenger floorboard.

Thanks for any feedback.
I would say as high as you are comfortable with. Lower leg trauma is not uncommon in crashes and very painful….sometimes crippling you for life.
Higher is better, but you also have to be comfortable, so mine are about halfway up my shin.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Your thoughts?
About a year ago I bought a pair of Ecco Exohike goretex hiking boots which have been the most comfortable boots I have ever worn, right out of the box. The boots are very lightweight, above the ankle and made of the softest leather I have ever found on any boots I have ever owned. Not only are these boots very comfortable to walk in, they are completely waterproof. I have ridden hundreds of miles in pouring rain, through thunderstorms and flooded roads and have never had wet feet while wearing these Ecco boots. I believe they cost around $250.00 or so but haven't been able to find this particular model, so I don't know what the current cost is. The boots are made in Denmark and I highly recommend them.
See ya'll out there on the backroads of this great country.

Jitters
USSF, 67-68, 70 RVN, MOPH

21 - 40 of 48 Posts