Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2006 GL1800 2003 Escapade trailer
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This the only Goldwing forum that I am a member of but I do peruse the other ones as well. I don't see a lot of new posts anymore. So...that being said, I'll start one.

Has anyone purchased motorcycle specific boots that were comfortable right out of the box? Seems like any I try on are super stiff and very difficult to walk in. I realize a break in period is necessary but has anyone had luck with comfort right away?

I wear hiking boots right now and even they are not really comfortable to walk in since they are over the ankle.

I have tried mostly the brands they have at Cycle Gear (because I can actually try them on) but am reluctant to order any without fitting them.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
549 Posts
The Bilt ones I have from Cycle Gear were comfortable out of the box, they just get sweaty in temps above 85.

Reactions: Luv2fish

·
Super Moderator
15,177 Posts
i have alpinestar new land gore-tex boots that i bought in '16. i have to put an arch support in all shoes and boots which adds comfort too. i found out that alpinestar was dropping my boots from their lineup so i bought another pair just before i broke my foot

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Similar to Doc, about 5 or 6 years ago I bought a pair of Alpinestar Gran Torino boots with Gore-tex and absolutely loved them right out of the box. I'm still using them and they're still very comfortable. When these are done I'll probably buy another pair of the same (if they're still available).

Reactions: Luv2fish and Maui

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Similar to Doc, about 5 or 6 years ago I bought a pair of Alpinestar Gran Torino boots with Gore-tex and absolutely loved them right out of the box. I'm still using them and they're still very comfortable. When these are done I'll probably buy another pair of the same.
Were they true to size?

·
Super Moderator
15,177 Posts
not quite true to size for my boots, i wear a size 12 but alpinestar boots are euro sized which i think is 47. i knew that a 47 was too small and went with a 48

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not quite true to size for my boots, i wear a size 12 but alpinestar boots are euro sized which i think is 47. i knew that a 47 was too small and went with a 48
Good to know....I have some shoes that fit perfect as a size 12 and others are size 13. When I try some of them on at Cycle Gear some 12's are way too tight and then 13's feel loose. Depends on that particular boot I guess.

·
Registered
549 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Gold Wing DCT
140 Posts
This the only Goldwing forum that I am a member of but I do peruse the other ones as well. I don't see a lot of new posts anymore. So...that being said, I'll start one.

Has anyone purchased motorcycle specific boots that were comfortable right out of the box? Seems like any I try on are super stiff and very difficult to walk in. I realize a break in period is necessary but has anyone had luck with comfort right away?

I wear hiking boots right now and even they are not really comfortable to walk in since they are over the ankle.

I have tried mostly the brands they have at Cycle Gear (because I can actually try them on) but am reluctant to order any without fitting them.

Your thoughts?
I'm a lifelong cowboy boot wearer and I seem to recall back maybe 40 or so years ago when I'd get a new pair of less expensive boots, typically in the less than $300 range I'd take a bar of saddle soap and work the soap into the leather real good and that would usually soften up the new tight and stiff leather. I often though would buy hand made calf skin made boots that cost a good bit more, usually starting out at about $600 to $1200 range and even higher sometimes and I wouldn't have this problem. Maybe someone can speak more to the saddle soap relief or similar ways to soften stiff leather. Just my 2 cents worth since you asked.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
I wear "Original S.W.A.T" boots, they are comfortable, light weight and provide great support. I can wear these boots all day and have no discomfort, easy on and easy off.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Can't speak to the saddle soap, but to stretch and loosen my leather riding gloves I use rubbing alcohol, as it doesn't leave a slippery residue like neatsfoot oil or saddle soap.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wear "Original S.W.A.T" boots, they are comfortable, light weight and provide great support. I can wear these boots all day and have no discomfort, easy on and easy off.
I like the looks of those. I have tried Sedici Podio, TCX Blaze, Bilt Pro Tourer....and on and on and I just can't get my feet to feel comfortable.

·
Super Moderator
12,287 Posts
They're supposed to be comfortable? :D

I own HD boots, they're fine when riding, but a bit hard when walking any distance.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
I like the looks of those. I have tried Sedici Podio, TCX Blaze, Bilt Pro Tourer....and on and on and I just can't get my feet to feel comfortable.
I bought the Original S.W.A.T H.A.W.K 9" boots because they have the extra layer on the tip, that way my shifter will not be wearing holes in the boot.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
They're supposed to be comfortable? :D

I own HD boots, they're fine when riding, but a bit hard when walking any distance.
They’re HD boots. They’re only designed for walking from the parking lot into the bar, and back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 48 Posts