Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen the posts before regarding fender extensions, but thought my experience would of course be different. Last year I installed the long fender extension with support brackets. Less than 2 weeks ago I found a fine 3" crack above and below the back screw. I removed the fender, sanded the paint from the underside, applied some ABS glue and stop drilled it to keep the crack from spreading. I also re-checked the other screws to ensure they weren't to tight, so in the end I had a small crack with a small hole in the back of the fender, I could live with that. Washed the bike tonight after returning from a 690mi trip over the weekend and found the left side of the fender at the mounting screw broken all the way around the screw:mad::mad:
Now instead of contemplating a new back half fender, I'll be replacing one, and as much as I like the look, I won't be re-installing the extension at least with screws...I wonder if it could be glued on:confused:

·
Super Moderator
9,995 Posts
I know they are designed to provide some protection from debris and dirt ending up on the cowl, but I'm not sure they are worth the hassle or problems they create. Maybe there is a reason the factory fender is the length it is.

I guess you can tell I don't have one. Good luck with yours though...

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
I've seen the posts before regarding fender extensions, but thought my experience would of course be different. Last year I installed the long fender extension with support brackets. Less than 2 weeks ago I found a fine 3" crack above and below the back screw. I removed the fender, sanded the paint from the underside, applied some ABS glue and stop drilled it to keep the crack from spreading. I also re-checked the other screws to ensure they weren't to tight, so in the end I had a small crack with a small hole in the back of the fender, I could live with that. Washed the bike tonight after returning from a 690mi trip over the weekend and found the left side of the fender at the mounting screw broken all the way around the screw:mad::mad:
Now instead of contemplating a new back half fender, I'll be replacing one, and as much as I like the look, I won't be re-installing the extension at least with screws...I wonder if it could be glued on:confused:
My new rear front fender is on order as we speak. $148 oops. Will it be installed on the new fender ? I'll think about it. If it is I will cut the screw head off and glue it in the hole as a cover and double side sticky tape the extension on. Heck, half this bike is held together with double sided tape anyway.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
I had a rubber extender on my 1200 and it never caused any grief, but it was very flexible and didn't put stress on the fender. I'm guessing the current extenders are too stif and vibration and stress at the mounting points are the culprits.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Considering what you have spent on the extension and are about to spend on the fender. Perhaps you might look into a plastic welding kit. With our Tupperware you will always find a use for it. And you may be able to weld the extension on. If your interested I will pull my kit out and post the info on it.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Considering what you have spent on the extension and are about to spend on the fender. Perhaps you might look into a plastic welding kit. With our Tupperware you will always find a use for it. And you may be able to weld the extension on. If your interested I will pull my kit out and post the info on it.
You have my undivided attention on this plastic welding kit.

·
Registered
674 Posts
My kit is from www.urethanesupply.com I bought the mini weld Model 6 airless plastic welder- 5600HT. At work I use a weldy brand hot air welder. But for Tupperware that you do not want to wreck the paint job this airless welder is great. I am sure if you shop around you may find it cheaper or a better kit. This is the kit I could afford when I bought it.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Are you putting an extra long extender on. I have had an extender on all my bikes and never had a problem. I use the chrome ones that bolt to the bottom of the fender and I think it has 2 way tape also. The one on my 08 I also added a piece of rubber to the bottom to make it longer and still no problems.
The one on my Concours has no bolts, you just glue it on with PVC glue.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
My kit is from www.urethanesupply.com I bought the mini weld Model 6 airless plastic welder- 5600HT. At work I use a weldy brand hot air welder. But for Tupperware that you do not want to wreck the paint job this airless welder is great. I am sure if you shop around you may find it cheaper or a better kit. This is the kit I could afford when I bought it.
Bookmarked site, Knelson. Tanks!

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Are you putting an extra long extender on. I have had an extender on all my bikes and never had a problem. I use the chrome ones that bolt to the bottom of the fender and I think it has 2 way tape also. The one on my 08 I also added a piece of rubber to the bottom to make it longer and still no problems.
The one on my Concours has no bolts, you just glue it on with PVC glue.

I had the Show Chrome model, short. They say " Don't over tighten the mounting screws ! "I'm sure that is exactly what I did. The back portion adheres with sticky tape causing a less than tight fit all around the surface between the fender and extender. When you secure the fasteners you can see the fender actually pulling into the extender. If a spacer were provided with that fastener it probably would stop the inadvertent over tightening. The best thing they could have done was make the extender a tight flush fit over the fender surface. I might have gotten what I paid for.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yea.... I have paid the price as well. I read and researched it and still decided it looked too cool and the protection of keeping all that chrome that I have on the front end clean was worth the price. Well, my back half of the fender is cracked as well. Not too noticeable but cracked just the same. I had it off for a tire change and the mechanic never said a word about it. I think that rocks might be the culprite actually. I am always hearing a stone go through the space between the tire and fender... there is no space to speak of. Oh, and I went to the extra trouble to mount it right - drilling out the holes and attaching the bracing etc..

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Yea.... I have paid the price as well. I read and researched it and still decided it looked too cool and the protection of keeping all that chrome that I have on the front end clean was worth the price. Well, my back half of the fender is cracked as well. Not too noticeable but cracked just the same. I had it off for a tire change and the mechanic never said a word about it. I think that rocks might be the culprite actually. I am always hearing a stone go through the space between the tire and fender... there is no space to speak of. Oh, and I went to the extra trouble to mount it right - drilling out the holes and attaching the bracing etc..
Lower chrome front cowl $89. Rear portion front fender $202. Decisions, decisions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts