Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the gory details I should plan for when buying a used 1990s vintage Wing from a private party? Assume I have already checked the bike, and the local Honda mechanic has checked the bike, and everyone has agreed to the selling price. Here in Virginia, I assume the title gets autographed when the bike changes owners, and I'll need to go to DMV for new plates. Should I also be doing some sort of DMV check to make sure the bike is not stolen? Should I create some sort of no frills bill of sale that both parties sign and date? Does either party get stuck with paying sales tax? Any other important paperwork? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
24,638 Posts
Hopefully some of the close by members can offer up some answers for you. Being a Canuck I'm a bit dumb on these matters:eek:

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
you are responsable for any fees, title transfer and taxes on the sale and if you are worried about the bike being stolen you can have the vin run by the police before you buy it

·
Registered
145 Posts
In Virginia, he signs the Title and you take it to the DMV and get the title changed into your name. Really pretty easy.
Remember, and this is important, what ever you put down as the sale price, will be what you pay the taxes on. So, the higher the sale price you put down, the higher the taxes you will pay.

·
Registered
259 Posts
What are some of the gory details I should plan for when buying a used 1990s vintage Wing from a private party? Assume I have already checked the bike, and the local Honda mechanic has checked the bike, and everyone has agreed to the selling price. Here in Virginia, I assume the title gets autographed when the bike changes owners, and I'll need to go to DMV for new plates. Should I also be doing some sort of DMV check to make sure the bike is not stolen? Should I create some sort of no frills bill of sale that both parties sign and date? Does either party get stuck with paying sales tax? Any other important paperwork? Thanks.
No DMV check for a stolen bike is needed if you have the title. Having possession of both the title and the bike is nearly air tight.

In VA, a vehicle title also serves as the applicaiton for a new title and tags.

The seller must sign the title in the appropriate places, depending on which state the title is registered. Assuming there are no liens and he has the title free and clear, in VA, there are two places, IIRC - (1) front side, bottom 1/3 and (2) backside, attesting to the mileage accuracy.

He can leave the selling price empty for you to fill in, but even if put $1, DMV-VA will charge a minimum price of at least $35 in state sales tax. If, however, the selling price is well below book, make sure you get a signed bill of sale, stating the price. That will override what is pencilled in on the title. Otherwise, their pricing database may override what is pencilled in on the title.

Assuming you are paying a reasonable price, be prepared to fork over $200 for sales tax, new title, and new tags. Also - and this is important - somewhere on the title (which is also an application form), you attest to the fact that you have the vehicle properly insured. You may want to do that right upon buying the bike and have the ins co send you or allow you to dload a temp ins card, which you may need to register the bike in VA (most times not, though).

Oh yeah, if the title showsd more than one owner, make sure all owners sign the title in the appropriate boxes. One more thing... VA titles have a place to print the seller's name and a place to sign it. make sure the seller doesn't get it backwards :)

Good luck and congrats on your new bike!
Greg

·
Registered
718 Posts
Does anyone need to verify that the vin on the bike and the vin on the title match once applying for the new title in the new state?

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
Not sure if it's true in Virginia, but in Minnesota you have to include the engine number along with the bike VIN on the application for a new title. After that, it's as simple as bending over and spreading your checkbook.:eek:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Not sure if it's true in Virginia, but in Minnesota you have to include the engine number along with the bike VIN on the application for a new title. After that, it's as simple as bending over and spreading your checkbook.:eek:
Just the VIN in VA. You still have to do a little spreadin' though :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can only add to GWTrikes info that you should do a double check on the VIN to the title. An honest mistake can be a real hassle later on. Also you will want to go to your county/city treasurer and pay the personal property tax bill (i.e. city sticker) even though they don't issue them anymore they still collect the $24 seperately from the DMV. GW I'm in Hampton and plan on signing up with Chapter C - you?
BigSmokeDan

·
Registered
259 Posts
Dan,
You mean this: http://www.gwrravac.com/

I hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it. I'm a near-regular at Angelos where they meet monthly. I'm in school until Dec 2012 and have essentially put my social life on hold for the past 3 years because of it, but who knows, I may make it to one their Sunday dinners sometime in late fall or maybe even before; just gotta get thru this [email protected]#$% summer class I'm in right now.

I dig the converted jet ski trailer for sale at the bottom of their latest newsletter: http://www.gwrravac.com/Newsletter_2012_06_June.pdf

Greg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.