Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The outside handle does not always open the bag, I sprayed a little wd-40 on the latch which seemed to help a little but still have to used the internal opener most of the time. It appears there had been trouble with it before because when I bought it the internal plug was already out and there is a pry mark on the bag and a few of the screws were missing from inside the trunk.
Any helpful hints to repair this?

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
can't tell you about other bikes, don't know what you have. my gl1500 has adjustments inside the trunk. there is a piece of plastic across the inside, back of the trunk and about 5 screws will remove it. look at the cable that is the problem and loosen a nut. work the top nut a full turn clockwise and then tighten the lower nut until it is all tight again. check the pull tab.
of course, if i am wrong and it gets worse, go back 2 turns and try again. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2003 GL1800 and have the same problem. Honda redesigned the mechanism in 2005, I believe. In all likelihood, there is a metal connecting rod that has become just a little bent, which prevents it from working correctly. You can buy a replacement for less than $6 US which is suppose to fix the problem. There is a service bulletin out there concerning this.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I removed the back cover and there is an adjustment on the cable. There are three different slots to put the cable in. But the problem appears to be too much lateral movement in the opener. The rivet that holds it all together seems to have worn to the point to allow lateral movement. Maybe if I can get a snap ring around it to take up the play it will work.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have a 2003 GL1800 and have the same problem. Honda redesigned the mechanism in 2005, I believe. In all likelihood, there is a metal connecting rod that has become just a little bent, which prevents it from working correctly. You can buy a replacement for less than $6 US which is suppose to fix the problem. There is a service bulletin out there concerning this.
I wouldn't mess with it. As richstan is telling you there is a SB out on this. I have read it. May be able to take it to any dealer and fix for free. At least that is how recalls work.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Bulletin up here in Canada is # IX-4-2004. Could be a different # in the States, but the info should be the same.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Talked to the dealer today, all mods have been done to the bike, he suggested a new complete new latch. So I went to plan B and wrapped some very fine stainless steel wire around the rivet to take up the space. Tested it several times and seems to be working, time will tell how it holds up.
Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, an update on the latch situation. I tweaked the rod to make it shorter, this helped but the latches still were not catching correctly. I took the inside saddle bag latch cover plate off, mounts with 8 screws, and looked at the two latches as I pulled the lever. Turns out the latches were not "in sync" with each other. On the left side I had to shorten the rod that connects to the latches and on the right side I had to lengthen it.
Both work great now and don't have to slam them shut.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts