Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GL1800 Left side front brakes wore out a lot sooner than the right side

Does anyone know what can be done to help our left and right side brakes wear and brake more evenly?

I changed my 2012 GL1800 with ABS at 33,000 miles after hearing braking noise and was surprised to find the left side wore completely out to the metal, while the right side had a good amount left. See picture. Notice pad with metal backing, non-piston side wore out completely.
Anyway, I’ll be flushing and filling my brake fluid, about 10-years old, and wonder what else can be done to prevent uneven wear and braking. Anyway to align the tire with the brakes?
Thanks,
Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Possibly your only using the foot brake? The front and rear brakes run together. As I understand it the foot pedal operated the left front and the rear together. The hand lever operates the right front and half of the rear caliper. There is a word for it just dont remember it right now. I used to only use the hand lever thinking I was using both sides of the front brakes and was wearing out the right front pads and nothing else. Now I use both together like I used to on my Shadow.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Here is the diagram of the linked braking system. The rear brake operates on piston on the right front and two on left front. That may be the reason the left front wears more quickly if you don't use the front at the same time.
White Product Font Line Parallel

·
Registered
2003 Goldwing in Red (the fastest color)
1,506 Posts
If your one pad wore excessively, did you check your rear pads?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love the diagram and had no idea it was a linked braking system. I try to use both brakes at the same time while also down-shifting letting the engine do its part. I don't think it is me, as I've had other bikes and this is my second Goldwing, then again I'm the only one who rides it ;)

I think somehow the fork and/or brake caliber may have gotten out of alignment since the most left-pad that is stationary without any pistons I believe, looks like it got stuck up against the rotor, then again I would have heard and felt it. So I'm still puzzled why it happened and what I can do to prevent it from happening again.

I haven't checked the rear pads yet but that's next as I bought all three sets to replace. I'll share more if those pads show anything unusual.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Jim as that makes sense so I'll try it out and reply. Appreciate the links and advice.

Before the pinch bolts on left lower fork are tightened is when the alignment is needed to center left side brake caliper.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thank you Jim as that makes sense so I'll try it out and reply. Appreciate the links and advice.

Before the pinch bolts on left lower fork are tightened is when the alignment is needed to center left side brake caliper.
I would suggest checking the calipers for free movement. The caliper needs to be free floating on the caliper mounting bracket. The caliper pins should be cleaned and lubricated whenever you service the brakes.
Auto part Rotorcraft Font Machine Engineering

·
Registered
2 Posts

Does anyone know what can be done to help our left and right side brakes wear and brake more evenly?

I changed my 2012 GL1800 with ABS at 33,000 miles after hearing braking noise and was surprised to find the left side wore completely out to the metal, while the right side had a good amount left. See picture. Notice pad with metal backing, non-piston side wore out completely.
Anyway, I’ll be flushing and filling my brake fluid, about 10-years old, and wonder what else can be done to prevent uneven wear and braking. Anyway to align the tire with the brakes?
Thanks,
Joe
I had the same issue over a couple of years. The problem was my front wheel hub bearings were shot. Took off front wheel, laid the wheel down and ball bearings fell out.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Thanks,
Joe
Humorous answer -- Stop riding in circles.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds like your brake tech is not lubricating the caliper pins and testing the functioning as designed. Caliper pins MUST be cleaned and lubed. Maybe the master cylinder is not distributing pressure correctly. Tell your service team to "please figure this out". Flush and bleed. Drive and test.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just take it as a test of my ability to use my braking appropriately and have everything wear out the same. Most times I fail, I tend to trail brake in corners more, which uses left front brake along with rear brake.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts