Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what length the mounting bolts for the rear trunk LED spoiler? on a GL 1800,
I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Where are you from? What year bike do you have?

I assume you have a found a spoiler but if came without any hardware. I don't know the length without taking my bike apart. I do know they are 6mm diameter. You could take your spoiler to a hardware store and try some different ones. Or, the strength of a bolt for diameter and length of thread engagement is the same. For example, a 1/4" diameter nut is 1/4" in height. No need to have a nut any thicker as it won't be any stronger. And in this application, you are no where near the limit of strength for this load anyway. So the bolt length needs to be 6mm plus the thickness of the material you are going through (trunk lid, washer, etc.). Hope this helps.

Honda GL1800 instructions attached.

Attachments

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Super Moderator
11,505 Posts
Would those instructions work for a 2004? I want to make sure before I use the template.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Would those instructions work for a 2004? I want to make sure before I use the template.
Good question. I'm not sure. If I remember correctly, there was a change to the later spoilers but the bolt pattern may be the same. Lay the pattern on top of the trunk and set a spoiler on it to see if things line up correctly.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Okay. I attached before the instructions that were revised in late 2011. On would think the revision would then cover all installs as opposed to issuing new instructions for 2012 model year. But good news, here are the original instructions from 2000 which should cover your 2004.

Attachments

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
770 Posts
Do not rely on the template. It's a flat piece of paper on a curved surface. Use the template to get an idea of where the holes should be. There are marks on the trunk lid.
Use a 1/8 inch bit from the inside, then use a STEP bit from the outside. The step bit slices through the plastic and leaves a very clean hole without burrs and much less chance of cracking the lid.
Only snug the bolts. Don't over tighten the, the lid may crack around the holes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do not rely on the template. It's a flat piece of paper on a curved surface. Use the template to get an idea of where the holes should be. There are marks on the trunk lid.
Use a 1/8 inch bit from the inside, then use a STEP bit from the outside. The step bit slices through the plastic and leaves a very clean hole without burrs and much less chance of cracking the lid.
Only snug the bolts. Don't over tighten the, the lid may crack around the holes.
Thank you
Will do, great advice.

·
Super Moderator
11,505 Posts
Thank you Darkside#1500, now it looks like I need to find mounting grommets and hardware.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Where are you from? What year bike do you have?

I assume you have a found a spoiler but if came without any hardware. I don't know the length without taking my bike apart. I do know they are 6mm diameter. You could take your spoiler to a hardware store and try some different ones. Or, the strength of a bolt for diameter and length of thread engagement is the same. For example, a 1/4" diameter nut is 1/4" in height. No need to have a nut any thicker as it won't be any stronger. And in this application, you are no where near the limit of strength for this load anyway. So the bolt length needs to be 6mm plus the thickness of the material you are going through (trunk lid, washer, etc.). Hope this helps.

Honda GL1800 instructions attached.
If you noticed in the instructions and a picture of that bolt, it is a shoulder bolt that Honda uses so as not to pinch and crack the plastic. That is why you drill a 3mm hole, then 6mm and finally an 11mm hole. I would say that bolt is exactly like the one under your speaker grill.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you noticed in the instructions and a picture of that bolt, it is a shoulder bolt that Honda uses so as not to pinch and crack the plastic. That is why you drill a 3mm hole, then 6mm and finally an 11mm hole. I would say that bolt is exactly like the one under your speaker grill.
Hello tmDill,

Man,

I got it done and it worked perfectly. No mistakes. I just need to hook up harness and ready to go. Thanks for the info.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts