Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I spent most of today on the trunk of the Bike..I took out the side lights...fiund a broken wire..took the bulbs out ...pulled the wires and copper contacs out of the socket....drilled the 2 holes out to the size of my heat shrink....bought some ultra bright white LED'S and some resistors 1/4 watt 650 ohm soldered them in line soldered that to the factory harness bent the LED so it was facing the lense...and wola it works....was having a fine day until i shut the trunk... and i did'nt have the latch assembeled right :eek:...was able to remove the bottom of the trunk and ended uppopping it opean......That was a lesson well learned LOL tomorrow the side compartments....

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just ordered the LED strips for the same project. I have a GL1500. How tough was it to open the trunk sides? I removed the two acorn nuts on the inside, but that doesn't appear to fully release the side lights......

Mark.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
SailorKane , you have to remove the lower part under the trunk to get to the plug for the lights on the 1500, Not a big deal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
SailorKane , you have to remove the lower part under the trunk to get to the plug for the lights on the 1500, Not a big deal.
OK fine. How do you remove the lower part under the trunk (without dropping everything on the floor!?!?). It did look like the side lights would not be dropped without something else giving way....

Thanks! Mark.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
There are either 4 or 6 screws that you can get to from underneath, remove them and that piece will drop down a little and then you have to slide it back and off. It's been a lot of years since I had a 1500 so I don't remember the exact number of screws but I remember that piece has to come off to get to the plug. If you lived near me I could do it in about 30 minutes.
Here is a picture of it

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=147826&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1998&fveh=3462

·
Registered
39 Posts
There are either 4 or 6 screws that you can get to from underneath, remove them and that piece will drop down a little and then you have to slide it back and off. It's been a lot of years since I had a 1500 so I don't remember the exact number of screws but I remember that ppiece has to come off to get to the plug.
Thanks! I saw those screws and wondered if I would myself get screwed if I unscrewed them..... Thanks, Mark.

·
Registered
692 Posts
... Good Post ...

There are either 4 or 6 screws that you can get to from underneath, remove them and that piece will drop down a little and then you have to slide it back and off. It's been a lot of years since I had a 1500 so I don't remember the exact number of screws but I remember that piece has to come off to get to the plug. If you lived near me I could do it in about 30 minutes.
Here is a picture of it

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=147826&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1998&fveh=3462
... GREAT POST ... JOE ... USING THAT LINK ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
trunk lights

OK fine. How do you remove the lower part under the trunk (without dropping everything on the floor!?!?). It did look like the side lights would not be dropped without something else giving way....

Thanks! Mark.

Take out the 4 screws under the trunk and the bottom pannel slides back and out....than you will see the light harness....I did'nt seperate the lens I took the guts out of each light and replaced it with a LED and a resistor ...remember to bend or fase the tip if the led twardsthe lens .....

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
where did you guys get the lights from

·
Registered
39 Posts
Superbrightleds dot com is one good place to get these leds. However, I'm also exploring ebay and a direct China connection. I'm trying to get the next generation of LED's. Rudy's project and the current LED's published on the Superbright site appear to be 2 year old models. LED technology and pricing has improved dramatically in the last few years. There may be some that are brighter, cheaper, waterproof. I should have my leds in by next weekend or so, and I'll share photos etc.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LED's

I Bought my LED'S at a local electronics Store...I will probbly Buy my strip lights from Superbright....Whare can I Find rudies Post ???????
If You look at the harness all i did is gut out the Socket and add a LED bent at 90 Degrees to face the lenz and added a 1/4 watt 650 ohm resistor in line with the cathode (long lead on the LED) I was planning on dooing the side trunk But after looking at my lenses i desided to replace the lights than make them LED....I need to find either a good usible set....or i need to find out if the new 6 light housing can be split opean and modified?????:cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts