Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if you guy's have seen these lights, they are cheap and bright. I got a strip to see how they look, I was surprised how bright they where and you can cut to length and they still use 12V. The lights are water proof and self adhesive. They sell the same thing for bikes for a lot more, every time it's for a bike the price goes up.

http://addison-electronique.com/cat...m-12vdc-rouge-585-595nm-1-metre/category/126/

·
Premium Member
11,293 Posts
Yes I have used them under the trunk to shine into the panniers. They also light up the back of my bike when riding at night.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
How well do the autozone lights stick? That's the only thing I'm worried about.

·
Registered
235 Posts
For LED Light Strips..you can also try meritline.com http://www.meritline.com/waterproof-led-strips-red-16-feet---p-72360.aspx

They sell the strips in 16.4' roll for $25 and are on sale at times for $20. I purchased red and amber strips and replaced all the incandescent bulbs on my saddle bags, trunk side lights and ring of fire and still had plenty of LED left over to play with. They are self adhesive, can be cut to size (smallest being 3 LED's) waterproof and are very flexible!

Notice the difference between LED in saddlebag and incandescent in trunk.

At night....

Ring of Fire

Also replaced the "grain of wheat" bulbs in the handlebar controls with 3mm LED

Then finished up with the light in the speedo & tach!
these bulbs were purchased from superbrightleds.com

·
Registered
235 Posts
It's a bit of work...you have to remove the front cover that covers the speakers and such. That can be done with out removing the windshield. Once that is removed, then you have to remove the speedo/tach assembly ( disconnect the wiring and speedo cable). open up the speedo unit and then start replacing the bulbs. Be sure to test the light before re-assembling everything. The LED bulbs are polarity sensitive and MUST be inserted correctly!! There is a good
DIY on how to and what to do:

How to replace your dash lights with LEDs • GL1500 DIY Articles • goldwingdocs.com

He even includes a list of the bulbs required for the change out...But as I said it is NOT necessary to remove the windshield!

BTW...where abouts in NJ...I used to live in Franklinville, NJ

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I purchased the led strips from autozone today. Very brite lights. But at about $26 + tax a pack 24" packs. They can be cut. I'll try to put them on tomorrow. These are going under my bike, so ill post some pics when I get them installed.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
How do they get power? Also, I have Honda factory bulbs for my right hand switches. Difficult? '06.
The strip lights require 12v and a ground. I'm gonna run a new power wire (fused) to a new toggle switch and run a new ground. Should work fine. I'm only worried about the tape that holds them on letting them fall off. Hope this helps. I don't know about the switches on your right hand side, but I'm sure some of the 1800 guys know how.

·
Premium Member
24,520 Posts
Cross border shipping can be a real wallet burner. Being as Flash is in Montreal and the web page is predominately French they could be locally based for him to deal with. We all get raped on shipping costs across that invisible line.

·
Registered
75 Posts
on the strips that can be cut, how do you then hook up power to the portion that is cut off?

i have some 12" strips i bought a couple of years ago and had to solder new leads onto them because the 26g wire wouldnt have provided anything (material wise) to use...

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
You have to solder new wires to each cut section. No big deal.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
The strip lights require 12v and a ground. I'm gonna run a new power wire (fused) to a new toggle switch and run a new ground. Should work fine. I'm only worried about the tape that holds them on letting them fall off. Hope this helps. I don't know about the switches on your right hand side, but I'm sure some of the 1800 guys know how.
If your planning on leaving the lights on the bike then get some epoxy and us it to attach the LED strips. The sticky tape they have on the LED lights are okay but it does release after a while.

·
Registered
235 Posts
We were from the souther end of the state. We lived about 1 mile from Rt 55. I lived in Gloucester City for a number of years and moved to Franklinville after a few years in the Navy. Moved to Ga in 99 and been here since..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.