Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Wisconsin. I have a 1999 standard Aspencade 1500. It came with a 5 pin trailer hookup. My trailer (from another bike) had a 4 pin.
I am changing the trailer wiring to 5 pin and also plan to change the lights to all LED.

My question is this: Do I have to do anything before I hook up the standard light bike to an LED light trailer?

Thanks.

JJ

·
Registered
109 Posts
It depends but most likely there are no changes to the bike. Whether your trailer plug is getting power directly from the bike's harness or you have an isolation relay setup, so long as the current directionals work correctly, the addition of the LED trailer lights should work correctly.

You all set with the five wire hookup on the trailer (ground, running lights, all brake lights, left directional, right directional)?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
my only other question, that may throw you a curve ball.

If your trailer has only a 4 pin connector, to me that means that the brake and turn lights run on the same bulb. on the wing that is not the case, they are on different bulbs.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
to get lights to work correctly.
you will need to add a pair of lights on the trailer and wire them in.

with out seeing your set up to be sure, just going by typical wiring for trailers

on the four pin connector, the brown wire should be tail lights
the yellow and green - one is left turn and the other is right turn
(they were energized together for brake light)
white wire would be ground

Since the wing runs turn and brake lights off of different bulbs, you will have to do the same on the trailer, as in add a pair of lights to act as brake lights.

This being said........ there is some sort of adapter that is made for such things..... but not cheap

1 - 9 of 9 Posts