Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess is safe to say that all of us, at one time or another, made a ridding mistake that could have cost us dearly. It is good for others to learn about it so it could be avoided.
What was yours ?

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
Simple for me. Should have told the Little Lady to get off on that narrow, off cambered road in Montana.:mad::(

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Mine was giving hand signals to riders following me. I knew what I was talking about, unfortunately the rider directly behind me didn't. When you're speaking in body language clarity is paramount. Looking back on it, I realize exactly what that mix signal was.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was ridding in Fl on a sunny day on a four lane slow speed road on my Suzuky. I was on the lane closer to the center and a cage was traveling the same direction a bit ahead of me and in the right lane. I saw a car ready to pull out of a parking lot .I expected him to wait for the car to pass and pull in that lane. Instead he crossed the lane and try to pull exactly in front of me. He did not see me. I honked the horn and he stopped in front of the other car perpendicular on the road. I managed to stop in time with drag marks on the asphalt.
Later I learned that in a sunny day you should ride with the high beam on. Unfortunately on my Wing I have to choose between having low beam and the other two lights on, or high beam. I choose three lights on.

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
Could you tell us Fossil what happened ?
Most of the old guys here know but long story shortened,

On our trip in 2010 while making a turn around, ran out of road, bike dropped, little lady ended up twisted to the ground & in the local hospital emergency room with a torn ACL.:(:(:(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not to far from the previous incident there is a beautiful development I went to check out. This four lane road is divided by curbs with flowerbeds. Upon my returning to this road I pulled in the middle of it between the flowerbeds ready to make a left turn. The traffic was continuously moving but I noticed that I have an accelerating ramp. I gun it and I just got a bit ahead of an SUV when suddenly I say my ramp come to a sudden end with a seven inch curb. I pulled in front of the SUV with only inches between us while she was honking her horn. Conclusion: I should have waited longer and pay more attention to my accelerating lane.

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
knobbie tires don't stick well in curves on pavement. dunlop k81r tires and the big mac bridge wasn't a good idea either

·
Premium Member
6,714 Posts
Years ago....(I think 1983) too much speed into a right hand turn on a major highway....I high sided my CB900 custom in the middle of traffic....OUCH....I learned my lesson.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
When we get in a hurry we let things like looking twice or more times go. In a hurry to get to a meeting I was not even late to,changed lanes without looking. Buick vs Goldwing,you know who won that. It could have been worse had I not stopped to look(once),another 6 inches he would have hit my left leg instead of just my bike. I am not in that big of a hurry anymore. After the accident report an all I still made it to the meeting on time

·
Registered
259 Posts
Mine was giving hand signals to riders following me. I knew what I was talking about, unfortunately the rider directly behind me didn't. When you're speaking in body language clarity is paramount. Looking back on it, I realize exactly what that mix signal was.
So, what happened? Did you travel on and the guy behind you go down the side of a mountain or something? :) Gotta be careful kidding anymore as I hope nothing bad happened.

As for me, I've not had any regrets other than impulse buying of accessories for motorcycles/rising ends up with me having too many helmets, too many leftover uninstalled parts, and too much stuff installed that I don't use as much as i thought i would.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Many years ago, I was riding on a great biking road, but going too fast. I cam around a curve and hit some gravel on the pavement. I was able to keep the bike on the road by moving as much of myself in the opposite direction of the slide. I haven't gone over the limit on that road since and very seldom go over the limit anywhere.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Last time I went down Chopin's house I split from the group to go home , had to merge onto 495 but missed exit so I was so MADD at myself I started to speed to turn around well when I got to the off ramp I was going so fast I almost didn't stop luckily I did

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Ooops! The link takes you to page seven and the sixth post talks about rain gear. I went to page one of the thread and it all makes sense now. :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I took my motorcycle test, the book was advising in emergency, for a fast stop to use both breaks. I found out that is not true on all bikes and conditions.
A few years back I was solo riding my Suzuki at about 40 Mph on a boulevard like street. The light changed to yellow right in front of me. It was one of the situations when you don’t know whether to go or stop. I accelerated for a fraction of second then I changed my mind and decided to stop. There was enough room for a safe stop. I applied both breaks and the back started to fishtail. I let go of both of them till I lined up. Then repeated. And again. I almost stopped in the middle of the intersection.
Because my bike is light, the rear lost all traction and just a small amount of breaking made it skid. Would have I applied the front break only, it would have been a short safe stop.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Boy o boy. Is there enough room on this forum. Lets keep it short.
1/ Do not travel to one side of a bus and slightly to the rear. (A car driver may not see you and think there is a gap in the traffic and T'bone you.)
2/ You can run out of tread on the side wall of the tire.
3/ Don't think you can ride a road bike on the scramble track.
4/ Goldwings in sand do not go together well.
5/ Kangaroo and motorbikes at 80 mph and meeting, is not good for the health of either.
6/ Never think the car in front is going through the yellow light.
7/ A fox on the front wheel at 70 mph can put you into a tank slapper.
8/ A rear blow out at 100 mph two up will put you into a tank slapper. It makes the passenger kiss the road in relief.
Eric

1 - 20 of 25 Posts