Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My right front shock on the 1800 is leaked and it may be empty, judging by the mess on the garage floor. My question is for "you of all knowledge" will I cause damage on the left shock, or any other place for that matter, driving it 97 miles to my dealer for a warranty repair??...thanks in advance

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Over and above the handling issues, it won't do the front of your bike any good to ride it like that. I'd contact your dealer and ask his service manager or tech if hauling it would be perferable. I know I'd haul it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I doubt it will do much harm, the oil does lubricate as well as damp so if no oil is in there it might cause the sliders to wear a little bit (make sure Honda check the sliders). I would be more worried about getting oil on the brakes and the subsequent loss of braking!! If you keep the speed down, (55mph or less) I would think you would be fine, I would try to pick a time when the roads are not too busy and I would stop every 15 minutes to wipe any oil of the forks and away from the brakes.. I would even consider tying a cloth around the lower fork leg to soak up the oil for the ride to the dealer. If it was my bike I would ride it there as getting a trailer is a hassle, but a trailer is definately safer..

Gary

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
I see on your signature line that you have a 2006 w/trike conversion. I assume that's the one you are talking about. I don't think handling will be a problem with a trike, but like others have said a trailer would be best, but a slow, gentle ride would seem to be okay too. Do what you feel comfortable with and hope it's not tied up too long. Sorry for your problem...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts