Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , I am new to this site . I just bought a 95 gl1500 se . I really like the bike and it runs great . I bought it and rode it home 813 miles . It had no leaks when I bought it but now it has a slow leak of what looks like oil coming from the bottom of the clutch cover . Is this a dry or wet clutch ? . Any suggestions ? Should I not be riding it I just dont want to damage anything ? Thanks Rick H:confused:

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
It's a 'wet' clutch that is hydraulic operated. It shares the engine oil; that's why you can't use automotive oil in a bike because they contain moly or other friction reducing agents and will decrease the effectiveness of the clutch, if not permanently damage the plates. Not sure about the source of your leak, but I'm guessing it could be a seal/gasket/o-ring gone bad. Watch for your oil level to drop by checking it real often which would signify a moderate (or worse) leakage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks , now that I know it is oil I can watch it and if it gets any worse or when the bike is down for winter I can look into getting the gasket changed . Once again thank you for your information .
Rick H

1 - 3 of 3 Posts