Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a 2005 Goldwing trike with a motortrike kit. A recent ride from louisiana to Colorado left me with leaking axle seals. One mechanic said cause was altitude, one said rearend was over filled and a 3rd said axle seals blew out. All i know is that I added 3 bottles of rearend oil to get home from Amarillo. Can anyone else shed some light on this?
Tks

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hello and let me be the first to welcome you to our forum.
If both seals blew out on the same ride. The first place I would be checking is the differential vents. See if there are any installed on the axle tubes or the housing it's self. Verify that the vents are clear and are able to vent air from the rear if the vents are plugged up pressure will build up and can blow the seals while pushing out your lube. Once you check the vents out let me know what you find and I am sure we can get it fixed.
Perhaps a picture of the rearend assembly would be helpfull in diagnosing your problem.
Either way we like pictures here.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Is this the first long trip you made on this trike? Perhaps vents were never installed from the factory in town or short trips may have not been long enough to develop enough pressure to blow out the seals, even if the vent is clear it needs to be a large enough orfice to properly vent the pressure on long trips. Also yes if the rear was over filled this could have caused it but I never heard of altitude causing a diff to blow the seals. I am not saying the mechanic is wrong just I never heard of this.

·
Registered
674 Posts
In Florida we get mud daubers that will plug off a vent no problem at all for them. This happens frequently down here on cars and trucks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.