Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried doing a search and have not found anything. Recently I saw a dark spot on the display. While it is not effecting numbers on the display it did seem to spread a few weeks later. The larger dot was the original. Then the smaller trailing dots followed. Odd as there does not seem to be any physical damage to the display.

Has anyone experienced or know of fix.
Light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Gas Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Here's a link, with another link or two inside that talk about the problem, and options.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a link, with another link or two inside that talk about the problem, and options.

Thank you, I did read that and it sounds like it is something I will have to live with. Don't want to damage anything.

I did have a cracked screen on my Ducati and swapped it out without issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You don't have to worry about damaging anything. If you have basic mechanical skills, you can swap out the screen. Even if you don't get the "correct" model number screen, there is a simple modification that needs to be done to the ribbon cable that connects the screen to the circuit board. If modification isn't done, then you would possibly damage something which would be the transistor in the TR1 spot on circuit board. Do the mod, swap out the screen, and tour will be fine. There is a very extensive thread over on the GL1800 forum that explains everything you would possibly need to know.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I agree with mikeyk101 - sorry if I sounded like I was trying to disuade you from the fix. I just wanted to point out a potential issue that should be guarded against. When I did mine a few years ago it was a relatively easy swap. This precaution from post #156 of this link sounds like it will prevent the potential of damage to the video board:

This has been mentioned before, repeating it is a good thing. For everyone: disabling pin 19 is the safest thing to do! With pin 19 isolated, any of the displays will work without damaging the driver board.

Since pins 18 and 20 are not used, you can tape off all three pins (it's easier). Tape off those pins on both sides of the cable to double your safety. If you are very careful, snipping off pin 19 is best (either end).
Good luck, and if you do decide to go for it, please let us know how it went.

Reactions: mikeyk101
1 - 6 of 6 Posts