Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I went for a short 60-70 mile ride with 2 buddies who have Harley Davidsons. I followed them for about 15 miles and then had to get in the front. The noise was getting under my skin. I do not know how they ride those things all day hearing that noise. I like the loud pipes when they take off but to ride behind them for mile after mile the noise finally got to me.

IS this just me or does this bother other riders?

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
silence is goldwing er golden :)

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Rainman, you get used to it. I never paid that much attention to the noise until I got my Wing. Now if I get on my Harley my head starts to hurt after a long ride. Guess I got soft in my old age :(

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
When I ride behind my friends who have loud pipes, I stay as far back as possible to where they can be seen but barely heard.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
When I had open pipes on my Vulcan, my HD buddies wouldn't ride behind me either (although they would never admit it was the sound) they just couldn't abide being behind my "ricer". Lots of riders (and we all should) wear earplugs.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
How they do it

Hi Rain,

Most likely they wear ear plugs. The noise is for every one else but not the rider. I wont ride with the noise bunch.

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
I was the tail rider by default in a six pack of Harley riders. Every one of them had Vance Hines straight pipes. A fifty mile fun but noisy ride. My only revenge was turning up some Opera music when we hit the small towns. Harley riders love Opera. When the last two of us split off to our respective homes, I heard the birdies singing again. It was an eerie silence, but welcomed.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
music to my ears

ahhhh Figaro gets married again.

·
Super Moderator
11,791 Posts
One of my friends and I were out for a ride on our Wings the other day, when a Hardley came up behind us. We could hear him for half a mile behind us and a mile in front. Thank goodness he was exceeding the speed limit or we would have gone deaf!

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
One of the contradictory affects of those of us who are afflicted with " tinnitus " is the loud sounds are louder and the soft sounds are harder to hear.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Ah, following a H-D with no mufflers, let alone the smell of raw fuel, stock exhaust or back of the pack for our group. Rather hear mu co-rider than a H-D for any trip. Don't get me wrong here, factory H-D exhaust does give you that bad ass biker feel and can be alluring, but most aftermarket exhaust systems just are annoying! Want horsepower, get a Wing! Loud Pipes Saves Lives? Hardly!!! Where do you look when you can can hear them coming for 5 minutes and leaving for 15 minutes?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I ride with some Harley guys and they know why i pull ahead after a while.We take turns putting me out front,and that's usually enough to keep the ringing out of my ears when we get where we are going. The loud one in my group has a set of Rhineharts. They actually soung pretty good,but when your nearby and behind it gets annoying after a while.So,no Rainman,it ain't just you.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Ditto on the "itus" family with me. Tin and Arthur are the worst, but Gadget and Toy are real close in the running. The last two aren't painful other than in the wallet though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts