Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the cool sides of what I do is testing new bikes. Last night was a beautiful evening, s I knocked off work an hour earlier than usual, and headed into Edmonton to one of the Powerhouse Stores. They do a bike night every Tuesday with bugers and soda's and last night they even had a live band. My main purpose other than scamming a free burger and a coke from my two buds, was to test ride the new VFR1200f.
The bike feels alot like a CBR when you first sit on it, but as soon as you fire it up, it sounds almost exactly like an ST. No marks for exhaust note R&D. Out on the street things improve quite a bit, it pulls fairly hard, but it's not going to scare the knickers off your elderly Aunt either. Power gets more serious once the V-tec kicks in, but not like a 1000rr. Suspension is cushy, especially for a sport bike (which this suposedly isn't) and while it is more nimble than an ST, it's only due to the 170 lbs less bulk on the VFR I think. It does one thing almost exactly like both the CBR and the ST in that it makes you want to ride it fast (illegally fast) for a long time, ok all the time. That's why I sold my ST, I value my license too much. It corners well, but thanks to the soft suspension and the high weight (for this type of bike anyway) it's no track star, and it would get a seasoned rider in deep doodoo if you got hamfisted in the tight corners. But yeah, I liked it. I liked it a whole bunch, it's very nice to ride. But for the type of rider Honda is gunning for nice don't butter the bread. The paint is beautiful, but paint doesn't make a great motorcycle. I'm a Honda guy and I hate to say it, but move over Rune, yer gonna git sum comp'ny

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I haven't rode one so I have no idea of the way it handles but I sat on one at a dealer, along with an FJR1300, Kawasaki Concourse 1400, and an ST1300. For sport tourer that Honda is making it out to be I can't see sitting in that position for a 300 + mile day. I think it should be more in the class as sport bike. The one I sat on had the paddle shifters and that might be hard to get used to. The Honda shop said they sold 4 of them already so people do likes them.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I don't get is the 18.5 litre tank. You'd be lucky to get 200 miles (300 kms) without running on fumes. The ST holds 29 litres and has a range of over 300 miles (500 kms). Most sport touring riders want all the distance they can get between fillups. The exhaust note is just Gawd-awful, not the VFR burble I'm used to hearing. If it sticks around, Honda is going to have some major adjustments to make.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i don't care for the looks of the pipes but if it has a high center of gravity like the old vfr 1000's did it would not be a bike for me

1 - 4 of 4 Posts