Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just received a pair of Triple Straight Extensions (Kuryakyn p/n 7604)

The blurb suggests that they are a 'bolt on' replacement for the stock GL1800 (2009) exhaust extension.

They don't go straight on at all. In fact it looks like about 35-40mm of the original exhaust tail pipe needs to be cut off.

I have contacted the supplier & Kuryakyn who both reckon there is no need to cut the tail pipe.

So I am wondering if anyone else has had the same problem ? Would appreciate any feed back.

It may be that our Ozzie ex extensions are different from the US specs. But I doubt it, our GW market wouldn't be near big enough for that.

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Well, I guess you don't have a choice, ether you cut your tailpipe or return the crappy Kuryakyn product and get something else.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I guess you don't have a choice, ether you cut your tailpipe or return the crappy Kuryakyn product and get something else.
Unfortunately I really don't have a choice..... I will not cut the OEM exhaust and it is not practical to return the goods as we are in the South of Western Australia and it has already cost a considerable amount in postage to get the bits here.

I have emailed the suppliers & Kuryakyn re the problem & now await their responce.

It'll sort itself out I am sure.

:):)

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
I do not have the type you bought, but I have "turndowns" and had no problem replacing the stock extentions. Did you measure the lenghts of both the original and the Kuryakyn's. They should be close to the same. Is there any type of flange inside the extention that the exhaust should slide into?? Also, for us US folks without a conversion chart how big is 35-40 mm in inches... LOL..

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I do not have the type you bought, but I have "turndowns" and had no problem replacing the stock extentions. Did you measure the lenghts of both the original and the Kuryakyn's. They should be close to the same. Is there any type of flange inside the extention that the exhaust should slide into?? Also, for us US folks without a conversion chart how big is 35-40 mm in inches... LOL..
35-40 mm ............ a lot less than a cubit & much bigger than a bees. :D

Yes, I checked the OEM against the K's. With any luck I can attach a pic to illustrate the difference. Whilst looking at the pic, please bear in mind that the OEM muffler tailpipe actually extends, albeit marginally beyond the OEM extension.

Hope that makes sense :confused:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
I'm not sure, I'll have to go out and pull the turndown off my bike, but I don't think the tailpipe on my 09 is as long as yours. When I pulled the original extensions off I was suprised at how short that piece of pipe was. Can't do it tonight, but tomorrow I'll check. As I look at yours, I don't remember that 32mm extension. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this too.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I'll try the parts fiche and see if I can figure out what's going on with the pipe. TWW, it's about 1.5" give or take.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
No luck on the parts fiche, sorry. The darn exploaded view doesn't show enough to tell whether the tail pipe piece has two different dia or not, and the view angle is reversed!

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure, I'll have to go out and pull the turndown off my bike, but I don't think the tailpipe on my 09 is as long as yours. When I pulled the original extensions off I was suprised at how short that piece of pipe was. Can't do it tonight, but tomorrow I'll check. As I look at yours, I don't remember that 32mm extension. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this too.
I would really appreciate it if you did check yours. However I have received the following from Tim at Kuryakyn who has been most helpful & prompt with his responses. It seems that I have a different ex outlet to almost everyone else !! Incidentally, the overall length of the tail pipe is approx 77mm. PS: my wing is an '09 Airbag model. But I wouldn't have thought that'd make any difference ....:confused:

It looks like we are going to stick with the OEM extension, but that's not all bad really.:)

Hi Andy,
I have just checked one of our Goldwings, and the muffler does not have as long of an extension on the muffler. I also have checked and we have not seen this before on a domestic model, so my guess is that it is unique to international models. We do not have an international model for comparison, but I am fairly confident that is the issue. You should also double check that the exhaust elbows included in the kit will fit the extension on your muffler before cutting, if it does not fit, then even cutting the extension will not work as the exhaust has to be turned down to exit the new extensions, otherwise the exhaust will damage your new extensions. Please feel free to call or email me with any other questions.

Thanks and have a great day!

Tim Horvath - Technical support
P: 866-277-9598 x103 - F: 715-247-5007
[email protected] - www.kuryakyn.com

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still haven't done anything about fitting these extensions. Just cannot bring myself to cut the original tailpipes. Don't like the idea:eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts