Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought four pieces of accents for the tail and break lights on my Honda gold wing trike . In only a couple of days , the accents started pulling away at the corner . I cleaned them very well before I stuck them on , and they all are pulling away from the same corner of the lights . I pushed them back , and they hold for a couple of days , then pull away again . ( only an inch or so , not much . ) ......Is there a glue I can use to put between the rubber tape they use , and my tail light lens to stick it down ??....Or do I have to order new pieces . If I have to replace these pieces , How do you get them off without damage to the lens ??....Any help would be appreciated ..
Thanks
Ron

·
Registered
193 Posts
It may not make a difference, but it might be nice to know which chrome accents you are referring to. Another point to consider is that if they are made for a different purpose, although similar, the fit might not be quite right, causing the problem you are seeing.

·
Registered
2012 gl1800
1,460 Posts
Are they the separate four piece strips? Since these are probably old stock, the adhesive tape may be losing it's 'stickiness'. You can buy new tape, 3M VHB trim tape, and replace the old stuff. It's going to be a pain getting the old tape off though. Use a hair dryer to soften the bond on the strips. The clean ALL of the residue off the chrome pieces.
I would not use any type of glue, most of them will melt the plastic on the trim and light housing.
Are these what you have?
Gesture Automotive design Font Vehicle Symbol

·
1,091 Posts
Hood Human body Automotive design Font Shield

If they are like these, you may need to warm them up to remove them completely and then work on removing all the old adhesive tape before applying new 3M brand trim tape. Napa / Autovalue / O’Reilly’s sell it as well as auto body supply stores. I’ve done this many times with brand new trim going on friends bikes. They always buy ‘new old stock’ things for me to install.

·
Registered
2012 comfort,navi,audio,XM/ 2002 1100 Shadow Spirit
1,721 Posts
I bought the same chrome pieces that @GLblinded posted a pic of. I haven't installed them yet but did hold them up to the lights to see the fit. they are a little warped and don't sit flat on the light. I'm going to try and heat them up and see if I can bend them to sit better before I actually stick them on. I only bought them for the trunk lights so I'll have a set of trim for the earlier 1800 bag lights to give away soon if someone wants them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again guys . The four pieces GLblinded showed in his post , are the exact pieces . Two for the luggage rack , and two for the lower trunk lights with the bar across the middle . I noticed that they didn't fit flat , as JKWingwinger said . I knew they weren't an exact fit , but lined them up the best that I could . I figured they must all fit this way , and thought that the glue would be strong enough to hold them down . I did prep the lens well , and they were very clean .
I'll work with your suggestions
Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts