Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue. I love the farkle when it is not WAY over board. I owned a 85 Aspencade with chrome here and there but it was 20 plus years old and it looked like it. I took alot of it off. I know in part that was because the previous owners did not keep up the cleaning aspects like they should have and in turn I had a philosophy "never trust a man with a clean motorcycle." Now I have a brand new 08 and have added functional farkle, like grips and highway pegs for me and the misses.
This is where my issue comes. The other things that I thought I wanted while I was shopping for a new bike is held on with tape. I understand there is probably no other way to make it work but it is tape. So what is it going to look like in 20 years? I was at the dealer yesterday and his answer was "guys dont hold on to things for 20 years, you will sell your bike and get a new one by then." Well I should not have bought this one (logic wise) so I plan on keeping it. Do you think it will fall off, what will it do to the paint underneath, should I get the sand out of my ___________ and just get some things. I have become very particular about what goes on my bike and I may not be OCD about cleaning it but I am WAY more concerned about the finish than I was before.
As usual my thoughts are mumbled together to ask a simple question. Thanks for taking the time to read and any response is welcome. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
I'm with you on this. I too wonder about taping stuff on. I have a couple items and am looking at a couple more, but I like the paint and usually keep things pretty stock. Maybe we just need to keep extra tape around to make sure that stuff stays put.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
A lot of the chrome on the newer cars is held on with tape. I've used it on a couple small pieces of stuff that I added to my 1500 and haven't had a problem, but I've only had the bike 17 years.
One caution I would give from experence, would be to make sure of the fix before you stick it on. Make sure it isn't under any stress. ie. Attaching to a curved surface, make the chrome has a matching curve. I've had to put a slight bend in to match one of the surface.
Also you might want to research Kuryakyn chrome. Over on the GWRRA board there was some unhappiness with the quality, might also check the 1800 riders board. Just hate to see good money spent to pretties and have them go bad.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I have a 07 1800 and my 2 cents says that if the farkle dosen't have a functional use, then its wasted money. All the chrome in the world won't make it run better or last longer. I plan to keep my wing to the very end. Guess I can't be cremated cause you can't do that to a Wing and even if you could, it would be a crime. But they can sit me on it and drop me in a hole and I can ride forever. Tape away and put the saved money into gas.:D

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
AAAaaah Dreamweaver my fine Texas on line friend, I have to disagree with about the Farkle/Bling on a Wing. My Big Red is chromed right down to the dip stick and oil filler plug.
Maker her run really fast, I don't get wet when it rains. and all that shiney chrome makes it a lot safer.:rolleyes:
Ron
P.S. And the Old Ladys at the Home love it.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Ron, ole pard, I guess that we all have opinions. I was gettin gas a couple of weeks ago and an older gent came over to me and said "Wow, now that's just too purdy to be called a motorcycle". I had to agree with him. Bout the only sparkly farkle I have on the wing is those chrome helmet hangers from Wingstuff. I got them cause they provide some eye catch from the rear to help with the cagers. Besides, a purdy lady gots to have ear rings ya know. :D

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
AAAaaah Dreamweaver my fine Texas on line friend, I have to disagree with about the Farkle/Bling on a Wing. My Big Red is chromed right down to the dip stick and oil filler plug.
Maker her run really fast, I don't get wet when it rains. and all that shiney chrome makes it a lot safer.:rolleyes:
Ron
P.S. And the Old Ladys at the Home love it.
And I forgot to mention that the gals down here kinda lean towards a good pair of spurs! ;)

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
And I forgot to mention that the gals down here kinda lean towards a good pair of spurs! ;)
Yeehaw, ride 'em cowboy! Oh darn my outside voice:eek:
Guys there's more than one grade of 3M tape used for putting on trim and such. The kind used on auto mouldings and (most) bike stick'ems is the better grade as a rule. Off the hardware or supermarket sheves is usually the low grade type. Properly cleaned mounting surface and application is the key to many years of well stuck bliss.

·
Registered
141 Posts
There was a time for bling, but this ole boomer these days springs only for comfort, function and safety, like a backrest, air/rain deflectors, hwy pegs, extra stop lites on the spoiler and lower running lights. Also spend some $$ on cleaner & wax. When folks ask me what my bike needs, the answer is always the same--ridin. I thought my '08 was plum purdy right off the shelf. But I got buds that go for the full race chrome dipstick etc etc, God lov em.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm adding things to mine to make touring more comfortable like a back rest and pegs and a holder for my cup of joe. I did add chrome intake pieces that are taped on just to add something. But for me its function first.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Ok; my last case for Bling on The Wing. If some of you more senior guys can remember back to the old Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, even the Lone Ranger Movies. It happened in almost every movie, they are riding along headed into that always present canyon, and Whoa Big Fella, what was that flash of light, Sun light reflecting of the bad guys gun barrel or some such. It always tipped them off of the ambush waiting up ahead (shiny saved their life). And do you ever see pictures of our troops with chrome helmets and polished brass in combat ?, No, why not; they don't want to be seen. The More shiny chrome you have the more like you are to be seen, the safer you are.:D
I rest my case
Now let's all have a cup of coffee then go for a ride.
Ron
Oh yeah went for a ride yesterday it was 48 degree and sunny here in the NORTHWEST.;)

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Ok; my last case for Bling on The Wing. If some of you more senior guys can remember back to the old Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, even the Lone Ranger Movies. It happened in almost every movie, they are riding along headed into that always present canyon, and Whoa Big Fella, what was that flash of light, Sun light reflecting of the bad guys gun barrel or some such. It always tipped them off of the ambush waiting up ahead (shiny saved their life). And do you ever see pictures of our troops with chrome helmets and polished brass in combat ?, No, why not; they don't want to be seen. The More shiny chrome you have the more like you are to be seen, the safer you are.:D
I rest my case
Ron
Oh yeah went for a ride yesterday it was 48 degree and sunny here in the NORTHWEST.;)
Hey Ron...Why haven't you had your red bike sanded and chrome plated yet? :DOK, just poking atcha..;)

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Hey Ron...Why haven't you had your red bike sanded and chrome plated yet? :DOK, just poking atcha..;)
Well the way I heard it, was that Mr Honda had all the perfect Wings painted Red, the rest they painted what ever was available. Just figured I'd dress the lady up a bit.Now I don't know if it's true, but it's what I heard.:D
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
I rest my case
Ron
I am ordering more chrome now for sure. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

I rode yesterday too. I put another 100 miles on that car tire and didn't crash and burn. It was a very nice day for riding.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Well the way I heard it, was that Mr Honda had all the perfect Wings painted Red, the rest they painted what ever was available. Just figured I'd dress the lady up a bit.Now I don't know if it's true, but it's what I heard.:D
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron
I heard the same thing, but when they speed tested the bikes prior to putting on any paint, the fastest ones were painted black. Then, what was left over, the perfect ones were painted red.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
The plastic farkles that fall off with time can be glued back on. Chromed plastic, unlike chrome metal, ages slower and doesn't rust: Mr. McGuire: I just want to say one word to you - just one word.
Ben: Yes sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Ben: Yes I am.
Mr. McGuire: 'Plastics.'
Ben: Exactly how do you mean?
Mr. McGuire: There's a great future in plastics. Think about it. Will you think about it?
Ben: Yes I will.
Mr. McGuire: Shh! Enough said. That's a deal. ~ The Graduate.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
1. Automobile/truck manufactures have been applying ornamentation for a lot longer than 20yrs w/"tape". Most stays on, some comes off. Parked outside in all kinds of weather will degrade the adhesive faster as well as the chrome plating.
The usual test is a ten year accelerated(in the lab) durability test before a product is released for production use.
I would be more concerned about the durability of the chrome plating the failure of the adhesive applied to the tape!
The comment on chromed plastic aging slower is not completely correct. A lot depends on the manufacturer of the piece in question and it's exposure to the elements over time. In general a piece of metal (usually zinc based die-cast for plating) that is then copper plated, then chrome plated will endure longer than plastic. However, in recent years, cadmium has become a no-no via EPA and current metal plating processes are many and varied. This is one of the reasons I believe many are complaining about the very short durability of many of KuryAkin's FloorBoard-Heel/toe shifter kits and their flat luggage racks chrome plating.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts