Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently added to my trike a set of Hondaline heated grips. I like the warmth, but do not like the looks or the feel of the new grips.

I see that Kuryakyn makes a clamshell cover which will add bulk to the grips and give the quality look to the grips I had before installing the heated grips.

Kury's ad and comments by sellers on ebay say most or all of the heat of the grips are transmitted through the clamshell to the hands.

Anyone installed the clamshells and have comments good or bad.

TIA

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I was going to put a set on my heated grips when I first got the bike. I wanted more bulk also. Someone turned me on to Grip Puppies which are nothing more than foam overlays. They were about $11.00 shipped. They transfer most , if not all, of the available heat and gave me the needed bulkiness. Of course they don't have the longevity factor of ISO grips. You can only squeeze foam for so long until it goes flat. I'm at a cross road here myself: Another pair of Grip Puppies for another season of riding, or a pair of Clamshells ?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Chop, I have the grip puppies and for $11, even if you have to replace them every year they are a bargin. I use the heated grips a lot up here and the puppies allows the heat through even with gloves on. The Iso's do look better though. I had them on my 98 SE, but that did not have heated grips..

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Chop, I have the grip puppies and for $11, even if you have to replace them every year they are a bargin. I use the heated grips a lot up here and the puppies allows the heat through even with gloves on. The Iso's do look better though. I had them on my 98 SE, but that did not have heated grips..
I'm sticking with the Puppies. I'm use to the smooth even texture now. I had those ISO's on my VTX and liked them over the hard stock ones, but that was then and this is now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate your insight. I may try the puppies, but really like the looks of the ISO grips.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
I only used my factory heated grips while it was in the 50's. I never had heated grips before and it was warm and fuzzy. I now have the ISO's and love them but from what I can tell I lost alot of heat. I love the look and dont regret it (you can miss what you never had) I have some heat. Just my 2cents

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
What about the bar end weights? I wouldn't want the ISO grips and lose the bar weights.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have the Kury ISO clam shells with the throttle boss and end weights. I love them and I do not see any loss in heat.
I have become very dependent on the throttle boss and don't know how I got along with out it.
I have tested the grip puppies and did not like them. I love the look and feel of the Kury clams!

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Well, if I hadn't been so myopic, I would have noticed that Kury sells end weights on the same page as the Iso grips. Duh!:rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts