·
Administrator
26,266 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been There "tried" that

Not sure if you have the instructions or not, but the download on the web site seems fairly straight forward. They do recommend using a film of dish soap to make the stops slide over the antenna tip easier.
http://www.kuryakyn.com/documents/installation/4217-22HD-0204.pdf
In addition to putting liquid soap on the rubber stop, I heated it with a heat gun to make it soft. I pushed it as hard as I could, but I couldn't get it on. I know I'm not a strong as I used to be, but I couldn't even get it started. I figured there has to be another trick to it and that's the reason for this post.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I figured, but with e-bay and swaps and such I thought there was a chance you didn 't have the instructions. Have you tried removing the plastic tip from the antenna? It is likely glued on, but some mild heat from a hairdryer might make it easier to remove and the you're off. But having said that I'd save it for a last resort. Kury does have a decent toll free customer service number that I have used, you might give them a call. It's on the instruction sheet.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Hold on here ! My bike isn't here...... but, is the antenna shaft removable from the lower base. How is the " whip " secured to the base ? Allen screw ? I don't remember. My bike is stored 10 miles away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
According to Honda radio antenna best

Hold on here ! My bike isn't here...... but, is the antenna shaft removable from the lower base. How is the " whip " secured to the base ? Allen screw ? I don't remember. My bike is stored 10 miles away.
On mine the CB antenna is the only one that comes in pieces and is held together by Allen screws. The radio antenna is one solid piece, stronger and better suited for all the vibrations from the wind; this is according to Honda Customer Service.
I met a new guy who is on his 5th Goldwing, he told me if I use the CB antenna it will come apart when riding.
Knowing Honda for common sense, it would seem to me that the plastic tip on the antenna probably just snaps on. If I heat it, it should expand and hopefully pop off; I haven't tried this yet because I'm not sure of it.
At this juncture, with no solid suggestions coming in, I'm leaning to giving it away as a door price at our next Blue Knights motorcycle club meeting.
I purchased this item on Ebay, when I received it everything was there, but the package was taped together; this tells me I'm not the only one unable to mount this "universal" antenna flag.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I'd still give Kuryakin's toll free customer service a call. Can't hurt, and it just might get your flag mounted;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been there done that

I'd still give Kuryakin's toll free customer service a call. Can't hurt, and it just might get your flag mounted;)
I spoke to their tech on the phone already. Based on what he told me, I think I should be answering his phone instead of him.
According to him all that was necessary was a little liquid soap. When I explained in addition to that, I heated up the stopper to make it more pliable, his response was that I also shrunk the size of the hole? To my way of thinking, a soft piece of rubber will stretch more easily than a hard one; the fact the already minuscule hole got a little smaller didn't contribute to my problem, in my opinion. That hole is so small, I would even need liquid soap just to get it on the skinny antenna wire alone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Flag Installed, for how long I don't know?

I used my heat gun, after a while the tip came off. If you look at the end of the antenna, there is an indented rim where the orange plastic cap snaps in. In addition, I didn't realize until today that the antenna shaft is tapered, fatter at the bottom. This meant I could only mount this flag at the top. I also had to re-glue the orange cap, because it's "snap" ring broke off during removal.
I'm hoping that at Interstate speeds, the flag in this position will not present any problems. If it does, I will remove it and give up on this type of flag installation.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Honda quality

You first BNT. If it doesn't snap the antenna off at 85 mph I'd like to get one myself.
After seeing how Honda built this antenna first hand, I'm not concerned about it breaking off. What I am concerned about is how much vibration there is and how violent it will be. I want very much to fly OUR American flag, but not at the expense of any part of this beautiful machine.
This decent quality flag option was the least expensive of my options, but also it was the one I wanted most. Because the CB antenna is in pieces and can't have a similar flag, if this one gives me any problems, I will purchase TWO of these and be just as happy.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/4006/Flag-Pole-for-Luggage-Rack

I've seen these type flag mounts, mounted to the heavy bottom base of both the radio and CB antennas.
I'm going to give the glue 24 hours to dry, after that I will give this new flag mount a "shake-down" cruise!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
70 mph

The attached photo will show you what happens at speeds of 70 MPH or more. The OEM antenna is plenty strong enough, it just the flag "bunches" up.
If anyone doesn't drive that fast, and would like this $17.00 plus S&H flag, I will mail it to your door for $10.00.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Don't give up yet. Get some liquid spray starch and dilute with a little water. Spray it on and let it sit flat over night. That's how we got those Marine Corps Fatigue caps to stand up straight and proud back in the 70's.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's yours for $10.00

Don't give up yet. Get some liquid spray starch and dilute with a little water. Spray it on and let it sit flat over night. That's how we got those Marine Corps Fatigue caps to stand up straight and proud back in the 70's.
Thank you for the advice, but I've already removed it, packaged it and placed an ad on Craigslist. The first $10.00 deposited in my PAYPAL account can have it.
I decided to go the more expensive route and purchase two of the chrome mounts, one for the American flag and the other for my Blue Knights Chapter flag.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Since I don't have a garage at my house, I can't mount anything that won't fold down to accommodate a motorcycle cover. You antenna whip mount option looked good until your test ride picture.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts