Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Thursday evening I attempted to install a Kuryakin trunk rack on my '09. Everything went fine until I went to put in the rear bolts (the ones that go all the way through the trunk lid and liner). The stupid things are so soft, that the allen wrench rounded the edges off the holes off in one slip. Now in Kury's defense I did have the first bolt cross threaded and couldn't see well enough to realign it before attempting to tighten it. However, that doesn't excuse them for having such crappy fasteners, something I've heard other Wing owners complain about. So here I am at 9:00 p.m and no rack on, holes in my (colourful expletive) trunk, a stripped fastener head, and a two-up trip planned in the morning. So at 7:30 in the morning I'm going through the bolt bin at the shop trying to match the stupid things so I can finish the install and get on our way at noon. No such luck. Just then our service manager asked to see the bolt so he could measure it with is caliper. Turns out they are a good old regular machine screw in a 10x24 size. A call to our sister automotive shop and I'm in business and on my way back to the ranch to finish the job. The machine screws are harder and have a Robertson head on them. No issues with these ones stripping either. I haven't contacted Kuryakin on this (yet) but just a word of caution to anyone planning on putting one of these racks on. I also have the leg extenders for the rack, but don't know if I am going to use them or not. I'll be frigging careful of the alignment if I do. Not real big on the tracing method of marking the hole locations either. Hasn't Kuryakin ever heard of a template for crying out loud?

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
It sure is a purdy rack. I'm probably going to end up with the $69.00 one by " no name brand ". You learning that it is Kuryakyn not Hurryakyn. Very few jobs end well when started in the evening.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Know about that evening scenario very well. What got me is I read the instructions through four times before I even started the install. The lighting inside my garage isn't the greatest either, so that didn't help. But hey, it's done and functions as intended.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Glad you finally got the rack on the bike. I have the same rack on my bike with the extenders for the spoiler. Works great and looks good, just don't overload it. Ride safe..

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I had a Kurykyan rack on my 02 and did NOt bolt it throught the trunk lid liner, I think doing that is a mistake,

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
This is part of the instructions, did you miss #4 & # 13
4. Open the trunk and remove the 13 screws securing the inner
trunk lid. Set aside the inner trunk lid.

5. Check the inside of the trunk lid to make sure that there
is no obstructions in the area that you will want to drill the
mounting holes.
6. Close the trunk lid and carefully drill the 1/4” mounting holes.
You may find it easier if you start with a 1/8” pilot hole and then
increase the size of the hole to 1/4”.
7. Remove the tape from the trunk lid and carefully set the
trunk rack on the trunk lid. Recheck the alignment of
the holes.
8. Take the four button head Allen screws and place the flat
washer on next to the button head. Then place a rubber washer
on the button head screw.
9. Working carefully one leg at a time, place a cupped washer
on the leg, followed by a rubber gasket. Place the button head
screw with the flat washer and a rubber washer through the hole
in the trunk cover and then through the second rubber gasket,
the cup washer and screw it into the trunk rack. Tighten finger
tight only at this time.
10. Repeat the above operation for the remaining three rack legs.
11. After all four screws are finger tight, once again check the
alignment of the trunk rack to the trunk lid. It may be possible
to slightly realign the rack if needed.
12. Tighten the four mounting screws securely.
CAUTION: We do not recommend the use of thread locking
adhesives when installing items on motorcycle body parts.
These adhesives have been known to react with the composite
body materials and cause cracking.
13. Install the trunk lid inner cover.
14. Check for proper trunk lid operation.
WARNING!: Before operating motorcycle, be sure all

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
And I thought I was the only one that the mention of drilling through lid and liner sounded funny...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Glad it finally worked out for you. It is a funny thing with the trunk rack. I happen to like the cheaper one's better than the much more expensive one's. I actually think the cheaper one's look better.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I picked this one so that it would fit with the spoiler (ok it looks pretty good too). For sure Two Wheel, light articles only, our two rainsuits and the quilted liners for our jackets. I use the two pouches for sunscreen and my reading glasses.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
I picked this one so that it would fit with the spoiler (ok it looks pretty good too). For sure Two Wheel, light articles only, our two rainsuits and the quilted liners for our jackets. I use the two pouches for sunscreen and my reading glasses.
Hmmmm. Reading glasses ? Budoka. I wear bifocal cheaters. 1.25 mag for distance and 2.50 mag for reading. I finally got transition lenses for the sunny skies and I love them. No more flip -up visors.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I call 'em reading glasses 'cause I need 'em to read (everything), not to see where I'm going etc. Cripes, M.O.T. even put it on my pilot's license "eyeglasses must be available", how bad is that? Rotten buncha Fed yoyo's anyway. What's next, Ensure?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Okay, where do you get the bifocal cheaters?

Hmmmm. Reading glasses ? Budoka. I wear bifocal cheaters. 1.25 mag for distance and 2.50 mag for reading. I finally got transition lenses for the sunny skies and I love them. No more flip -up visors.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Okay, where do you get the bifocal cheaters?
Technically they are prescription glasses. I had to go through the " eye exam " so they could get their $40.00 ; and low and behold their " evaluation " matched exactly the magnifications I knew I wanted.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys that listen to classical music know best!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Trunk Rack

I am looking for a trunk rack for my 08 GL1800... Any suggestions?
I thought I seen one with a brake light built into it.
Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
77 Posts
Overloading the rack???

I have a Kuryakin Trunk rack that I got the dealer to install. Better him wrecking my truck lid than me. Everybody says don't overload it, and I'm always careful BUT..... EVerytime we use it, we tend to put just a little more in the rack bag. Then everytime my wife opens the trunk and lets it close by gravity, I cringe.

Has anyone ever crack the trunk lid? Is this a common occurance, or is everyone really careful about loading it.

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
I'm very careful about how much weight I put on the trunk lid. I will tie a light item to it or a bulky one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A word to the wise! Keep an eye on the chrome job on your rack. I'm on my second one. Due to the chrome blistering off the aluminum. Seems the racks were not cleaned properly for a while. They changed it out no questions asked! Just wanted to let you know.:eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts