Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a set of ISO grips (clamshell) on my 09 heated handlebars. I really like the feel of them and they work fine. I do find however that I do get some wobble of vibration in the handlebars without the end weights.
Has anyone had this experience?
Is there a way of putting the end weights back on the handlebars?

·
Premium Member
23,752 Posts
Snuff. I opted for the grip puppies for now, but your wobble in the handlebars raises a question I noticed when I take both hands off the bars at speeds under 40 mph. Highway speed is smooth, no hands. The grip puppies are just foam sleeves over the grips so nothing is changed with respect to bar weights. Just wondering if the " wobble " you mentioned is the same one I experience when hands free riding ?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I installed the ISO clam shell grips on mine as well. But I have not had any vibration problems at all. And I don't think there are weighted ends for these because the throttle side is solid on the end and has a screw going right thru the center.
I think you may need to go with complete set of replacement grips to have the ability to add the ends.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't get me wrong, the wobble/vibration is not bad but it is noticeable. I have only ridden for an hour or so with these new grips so I don"t know yet whether it is something I can live with.
I find it surprising that the weights as small as they are are so effective.
Unlike Chopin I don't take my hands off the bars :);):) si I dont know if there was any vibration there before.!!

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
I know what you mean Snuffy. I put a Throttlemeister on my ST and just for giggles I went for a ride with the stock barweights removed. Wasn't a huge difference, but it certainly was noticeable. Amazing when you think about how smooth those V4's and the opposed engines are. There's obviously more at play here than engine vibes; road irregularities transmit up the forks through to the bars.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Bobby, THANK YOU! I looked and didn't find anything thinking that there just wasn't!
I will be picking up a set this week. After reading this thread today, I started really looking on the ride home from work and I see what he means by vibrate now.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Glad i could help, just be sure to get the rings for those weights to work on those clamshell grips

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As an update I just couldn't stand the feel of the bike with the weights removed. I love the grips but it was just too loosey goosey. I found some Stilleto weights at the local dealer and put them on. I really don't like the looks of them but they do make a difference. Went for a 300 k ride yesterday and it was wonderfull. The more I ride that machine the more I love it. What a fantastic piece of engineering.
So my advice is that if you want to order the ISO grips order the end weights as well.

·
Registered
896 Posts
You will find that Honda installed roller bearings in the 01 and up head bearings. All Goldwings wobble at about 35 to 45. This can be corrected by installing tapered bearings. This should be adderssed before your warrenty expires. A good shop will tell you this. Custom preformance in Bessamer Al. told me about it.

·
Premium Member
23,752 Posts
You will find that Honda installed roller bearings in the 01 and up head bearings. All Goldwings wobble at about 35 to 45. This can be corrected by installing tapered bearings. This should be adderssed before your warrenty expires. A good shop will tell you this. Custom preformance in Bessamer Al. told me about it.
My warranty is good until Feb. 2012. I'm not the original owner, but I'm going to check myself into the shop that the original owner used. This steering bearing issue will be tops on my list. I also wanted to raise my handlebars up 1 in. so maybe we can work something out there. On my VTX I knew my front tire was low on pressure when I would cruise at low speeds with no hands on the bars. The wobble was dramatic. When I discovered it happened on the Wing , with known recommended tire pressure, I was at a loss to understand why. This at least points me in a positive direction.

·
Registered
18 Posts
are the installation of the tapered bearings covered under the warranty ?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I must have got a good one then, I have no wobble at any speed. I even purposely drove today to see if I could notice any wobble.

I only have 2 complaints about this bike. The fact that I can not install the Kuriakin Fork Brace because it's an airbag model. And the slight pull to the left if you attempt to release the bars with both hands.

At Highway speeds and in twisties, I have no problem. But low speed in parking lots, driveways, ect, you can really feel the flex in the forks. Just feels mushy and non-responsive.

·
Premium Member
23,752 Posts
I must have got a good one then, I have no wobble at any speed. I even purposely drove today to see if I could notice any wobble.

I only have 2 complaints about this bike. The fact that I can not install the Kuriakin Fork Brace because it's an airbag model. And the slight pull to the left if you attempt to release the bars with both hands.

At Highway speeds and in twisties, I have no problem. But low speed in parking lots, driveways, ect, you can really feel the flex in the forks. Just feels mushy and non-responsive.
Buzzy: Just to clarify, if you are driving at speeds about .....say ...30 mph and you take both hands off the handlebars, you don't get a side to side shimmy in the bars ?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Buzzy: Just to clarify, if you are driving at speeds about .....say ...30 mph and you take both hands off the handlebars, you don't get a side to side shimmy in the bars ?
None at all. Basically what I did today was set the cruise at 30, 35, 40, and 45 and let go of the bars. Keep in mind, I have to lean to the left to keep the bike straight. If this is a known problem, maybe mine doesn't do it because my forks are in a slight bind hence the reason for it pulling to the right.

·
Premium Member
23,752 Posts
Tanks! I'll look into my issue. Of course I don't as a rule ride with no hands holding on, but that shouldn't matter to the front end. Note: I also have to lean to the left a bit, but I wonder if that's not because of the camber of the road surface.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Tanks! I'll look into my issue. Of course I don't as a rule ride with no hands holding on, but that shouldn't matter to the front end. Note: I also have to lean to the left a bit, but I wonder if that's not because of the camber of the road surface.
I read somewhere that if you put the bike on the center stand, loosen something on the forks, Clamps I think, then rock the bike and bounce the front wheel on the ground a few times then tighten it back up, this will cure that problem.

It is not a big issue for me an I do not ride with "No Hands" either. I simply keep my hands around the grips but they are not touching. Just loose enough to feel what may be happening.

·
Premium Member
23,752 Posts
I read somewhere that if you put the bike on the center stand, loosen something on the forks, Clamps I think, then rock the bike and bounce the front wheel on the ground a few times then tighten it back up, this will cure that problem.

You try it first!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
462 Posts

You try it first!!!!!
LMAO...........I ain't trying it! I just heard it is a fix. Like I said, it doesn't bother as I can not think of any situation that would cause me to feel the need to drive with no arms.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts