Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a set of Kuraykyn 4038 floorboards with heel/toe shifter for about two weeks now. I'm experiencing a peculiar problem and wonder if anybody else with these popular floorboards has any thoughts.

In a nutshell, when downshifting from three to two, the toe shift bottoms out and stays depressed. It doesn't spring back up by itself. Then, to continue downshifting from two to one, I first have to tap the heel pad ever so slightly to make the toe shift pop back up. Then, I can depress the toe shift and it will pass through neutral to first gear. Getting into neutral is so hard, it reminds me of learning to ride my Honda 175, back in 1971.

Before I installed the running boards/shifter, toeing the shifter up r down was smooth, natural and easy.

Anybody have any ideas about lubing the plastic shift pivot or maybe increasing the return spring on the shifter itself?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the kury boards and heel shifter as well. I bought the bike with them already on and functioning properly. Now after putting on 4k miles I started having your problem. I tryed lubricating where anything pivots to a little temporary effect. I will put it in the shop if needed, but would rather fix myself if possible. Any solutions out there? I sprayed first with WD-40 on th road, then white lithium grease when I got home. Started out ok after that, but within a cople hours it came back. Not sure how I could get the lube any deeper. Is there a grease fitting I don't know about? Is something larger wrong? I don't want screw up my transmition.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the comments, everyone. A few months into the season and I think I really like the floorboards and heel/toe shifter.

Downshifting always requires a tap on the heel before hitting the toe but it works dependably. I haven't tried greasing anything, but I think the plastic bushing around the Goldwing shift point seems to move pretty smoothly with no sign of binding.

On the brake side, I found that in order to align the pedal with one of the splines on the shaft coming out of the bike and make it comfortable, that the pedal end ends up being positioned not much more than an inch above the foot board. So there isn't much travel but my brakes are good and so pushing it from that inch down to the footboard does result in a full-on stop.

I do wish the foot boards were a little lower. I'm not a big guy (5'10") but I still find that my knees and hips are bent a little more than they were with the pegs and often the most comfortable thing is for my foot to be positioned at the front ends of the boards every now and then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.