Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thanks for looking. I have an '82 gl1100. It has a knocking sound only when starting out (if not enough gas is given) or in too high of a gear for the speed. Higher RPMs, cruising and idle is fine. I have read info on the net and I think it is a fuel or carb sync issue. Is that a good assumption?:confused:

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
you are just lugging the motor, older wings like to be reved. my 1200 wing likes 2200rpm and up

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TY

I was told by a honda mech that that was normal. It just doesn't sound normal. What would a carb out of sync sound like?

·
Registered
690 Posts
... HOWDY ... IF IT IS MORE OF A PING THAN A KNOCK IT'S THE GAS YOU'RE USING ... DR.DET.BUZZARD IS CORRECT ... MY 85 1200 DOESN'T LIKE LOW RPM's ... AND I DOUBT IF A CARB. CAN MAKE A KNOCKING NOISE ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
most people don't realize that their carbs need a sync, performane suffers but i've never heard a knock from out of sync carbs except maybe after a rebuild

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
getting worse

Just rode for about 2 hours and the knock seems to be getting worse. I have heard to not use anything other than 87. With all the ethanol in gas now, should I switch to 89 or 93?

What would a main bearing going out sound like? Also not sure if it was the rain I went through, but seems to be sputtering/ misfiring now. Checked plugs when I got back and they seem to be gapped in tolerance and had good color. Should I look into a different motor or should I try to salvage this one? It really isn't too difficult to swap them out.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
... William ... Sorry About Reversing Your Title ... It's An Old Timers Thing ... Det.dr.buzzard ... Thats Better ... Happy Trails ...
i promise you that i didn't take iot the wrong way ronzilla. maybe he got a tank of bad gas, i got a tank of bad gas when i first got my 1200, it was sooo bad i thought i needed a tuneup.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Hello and thanks for looking. I have an '82 gl1100. It has a knocking sound only when starting out (if not enough gas is given) or in too high of a gear for the speed. Higher RPMs, cruising and idle is fine. I have read info on the net and I think it is a fuel or carb sync issue. Is that a good assumption?:confused:
all i have ever seen the clutches rattle or knock when taking off at low speeds thats just normal

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
but if you have bad gas in the tank like i did it won't idle right either. as more fresh gas got mix and run through the engine i got my 900 - 1000 rpm idle back all the knocking and all the hesitation went away and if you can find some seafoam put half a can with a tank of gas, it will help clear things up

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info. I will try the sea foam. I appreciate all of the responses. I would like to get it running like new again and it embarrassing when I am at a light or stop sign and go to take off. It just sounds soo terrible. It is like the engine just wants to fall apart. Loving Goldwings, I do not wish to give them a bad reputation...even if it is a 27 year old bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
all i have ever seen the clutches rattle or knock when taking off at low speeds thats just normal
Does the clutch need tightening or is it about to fail? it also makes this noise in neutral at low RPM.

Just tested the stator. getting 53, 50 and 2.6 ac. So..I have a bad stator. I know this effects the charging system. Does it also effect the spark in the plugs?

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
Does the clutch need tightening or is it about to fail? it also makes this noise in neutral at low RPM.

Just tested the stator. getting 53, 50 and 2.6 ac. So..I have a bad stator. I know this effects the charging system. Does it also effect the spark in the plugs?
yes it will as the spark will be weak and gets worse with higher rpm's

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I put some Seafoam in the tank (half can worth) and it sounds A LOT better. Thanks. Now that it is quieter, it seems like I have a misfire in one of the cylinders. Looked at plugs and all seem good. Guess i need to get a timing light and test spark to each plug and might get around to compression testing and carb sync.

Anyone ever done a carb sync? Doesn't sound too difficult (if I only had the gauge set). Local shop says it takes 2-4 hours at $75/hour. Looking at the repair manual, it seems like it should take, at most, an hour. Is that about right?

I am ordering a new stator and going to throw it in. Hopefully that fixes my electrical system problem.

·
Registered
151 Posts
you have 1 or 2 partially blocked carbs. the low speed or pilot jets are the culprits. ?try a little sea foam but you must ride slowly or idle for this to work in the slow speed operation of the motor. a proper carb clean would be the better choice. an 1100 gw should not knock at slow speed. they do have a chatter sound if starting out in gear without the proper rpm's.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts