Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lucky enough to have the option to ride a 2008 GL1800 from Portland to Oak Harbor, it started out great, I was amazed with the amount of power the 1800 has and how smooth it was climbing through the gears, the quietness may have been some of it since for the last month I've been riding an 07 Roadking with Rinehart exhaust.

I was an hour or so into the ride when I started feeling crowded and wanted to stretch my legs, (I have bad knees) no can do on this bike, I stopped at almost every rest area and stretched. While at the rest area just north of smokey point a few other Goldwings pulled in next to me and we chatted for a while, they both shared experiences of long rides.

I'm 6'2 and this may be an issue with full fairing bikes and guys like me with bad knees, or, I may have to modify the goldwing I get to work better for me.

Even with the knees hurting it was a great day for a ride.

Thanks for listening to my rants!

Leigh

·
Registered
159 Posts
Do you have the "other cruising pegs" to strech your legs out to give you some relief ?

·
Premium Member
17,037 Posts
Might want to see if you can find one with driver floor boards, and see how they feel. On my 1500 my knees hurt on the pegs, put driver floor boards on and no more knee problem. On the 1800 I'm not sure you have the same ground clearance as the 1500, so the boards may touch down in curves sooner.
It's an idea anyway.

·
Super Moderator
15,118 Posts
for me the stock seat on a wing is just too low for comfort so i use a gelpad to raise me up some and highway boards too

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Hi way boards work for me but I am only 5' 8" I know I need the option to move off the stock pegs on those long hiway miles!!!

·
Administrator
25,864 Posts
That's why most of us have peg and board options on our 1800s. Makes a huge difference. You do need to make sure and get the smaller 4.5" arms for them though, they come with 6" (Kuryakin brand). There are mini arms too, but the only fit the Ergo II mounts.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I put a set of Mik-O-Pegs on my 1800 this year to get away from that cramped bent-knee feeling. So far I quite like'm. The bike had the Kury's on it when I got it but they had the 6" arms and I didn't find them comfortable to use. Good luck finding a solution that works for you.

Cheers,
Kerry

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you all for the replies, I do want to say again this was not my Motorcycle, I was asked to go to Portland and bring it back to Oak Harbor for a friends Farther in-law who had a heart attack and he was thinking I may want to purchase it from him. This was a stock Goldwing so I think if I do purchase it I can change a few things on it, however I have been riding a 2007 Roadking and when comparing them two, you would not believe how comfortable the roadking is compared to the goldwing.

I still want a Goldwing but I do plan on stopping over to a Harley Davidson and test drive a Ultra Glide and see how it feels.

Thanks again all for the replies.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
I put switch blades ...they are adjustable and they have a heel kick out...they are great..

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thank you all for the replies, I do want to say again this was not my Motorcycle, I was asked to go to Portland and bring it back to Oak Harbor for a friends Farther in-law who had a heart attack and he was thinking I may want to purchase it from him. This was a stock Goldwing so I think if I do purchase it I can change a few things on it, however I have been riding a 2007 Roadking and when comparing them two, you would not believe how comfortable the roadking is compared to the goldwing.

I still want a Goldwing but I do plan on stopping over to a Harley Davidson and test drive a Ultra Glide and see how it feels.

Thanks again all for the replies.
Do not test ride the UC... unless you've got the dough to buy it :) It's a couch all the way; I know, I've got one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts