Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from the George Henderson Memorial and on the way was in heavy rain . At some times on I64 the rain was so heavy that you could not see 50 ft. . After 4 hrs. of riding on I64 and I95 in rain in stop and go traffic I was soaked. My Kodiak pants are still drying out after two days. Not fun riding with a wet ass. They were still wet enough that I did not wear then on the trip home the next day.
The jacket dried out on the way home. All zippers were closed tight the pants were under the jacket so water didn't get in at the waist.

This is the second trip were the gear has failed to keep me dry in the rain.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hey Jinx - Not sure there is a brand of motorcycle rain gear that can handle the kind of down pour you ran into. A couple of years ago I got caught in a blinding thunder storm while heading south on the 7 mile bridge toward Key West. Every 500 yards, the rain literally had traffic down to a crawl, bumping into each other and stopping in the middle of the highway. Once I was able to pull over at the Bahia State Park exit I suited up in all my rain gear which quickly had me sweating like a hoglet between rain storms. My BMW brand wet weather jacket, attached under helmet rain hoody and bib overalls normally keep me dry unless (like this storm) it hyperdynes somehow through my pants.

Anything that does get wet while on the road, can be tied down using bunge cords to the trunk rack and flagged out behind in the slip stream. Just take care to only allow a small portion of the heavier items (Jackets - Pants) to flutter in the wind at a time. Lighter things like your shower towel will dry pretty quickly. The funny part is when someone pulls up along side you on the highway, hangs out their window an hollers "something is blowing out of your trunk". :)

Ride Safe - Michael

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the rain was severe. But when you pay $850.00 for pants and $800.00 for a jacket that are guaranteed to keep you dry I expect them to keep me dry.
See line 2 below

EXTERIORFEATURES

• GORE-TEX PRO SHELL
  • GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY
  • PERFORATED LEATHER OVERLAYS
  • TONAL MUTED BRANDING
  • YKK ZIPPERS SAFETY
  • D3O CE LEVEL 2 HIP ARMOR(2)
  • D3OCE LEVEL 2 KNEE ARMOR(2)
  • SLIDER SYSTEM HOLDS D30 IN PLACE
  • PORON XRD TAILBONE PROTECTOR CARGO
  • 2 CARGO POCKETS VISIBILITY
  • BLACK 3M SCOTCHLITE REFLECTIVE MATERIAL VENTILATION
  • 2 THIGH VENTS
  • 2 BACK THIGH VENTS FIT/STYLE/COMFORT
  • JACKET TO PANT CONNECTION
  • ELASTIC BACK WAISTBAND

·
Registered
526 Posts
My $169 First Gear HT Overpants (and First Gear Jaunt jacket) have kept me dry in hours-long torrential rain storms that were so bad that the cars all pulled over to the side of the road because their wipers wouldn't keep up.

If I ever paid $800 for pants, they'd better do more than just keep me dry.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No but I sure you have experiance with then even if you don't want to admit it. Is it true they expand when they get wet ?

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My $169 First Gear HT Overpants (and First Gear Jaunt jacket) have kept me dry in hours-long torrential rain storms that were so bad that the cars all pulled over to the side of the road because their wipers wouldn't keep up.

If I ever paid $800 for pants, they'd better do more than just keep me dry.
My Leathers do too . But they don't provide as much other protections that the Klims do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would contact the manufacturer and ask them. The set you have may be defective. If all else fails treat them with some camping tent waterproof spray and seam sealer.

I have ridden 185 miles in the rain and my cheap Walmart frog togs do a good job.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
At the money you spent I would want another set and if they are not inclined to do anything then I would take a trip and have an anxiety attack at their office. Maybe you didn't read the fine print guaranteed to keep you cry ( till they don't).😁

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I have the frog togs call Road toads. Guaranteed waterproof. I’ve been in all day rain and horrendous power storms and stayed dry as a bone. I think I paid $69.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the frog togs call Road toads. Guaranteed waterproof. I’ve been in all day rain and horrendous power storms and stayed dry as a bone. I think I paid $69.
The other rider was wearing Frog Togs got pretty wet was well. Had Frog Togs years ago . Not comfortable in hot humid weather and wont do shit to protect you if you go down. But if all you want is something to help keep you dry in the rain Frog Togs are a good choice.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update
Klim has had my gear for over a week now and they just emailed me asking were the leaks were.

Thank you for contacting Klim. We have your case set up under CAS265802. Customer Name: . Kodiak Jacket/Gray. 28

Where on the jacket do you feel you are getting wet-we need a starting point please.

All Gore-Tex collections are designed to keep you dry. They are certified by Gore-Tex and go through extensive testing. Below are a few tips that will help your gear perform to advertised specifications.
  • Make sure all zippers and vents are closed tightly and zipper slider is covered by the zipper garage.
  • Make sure the Jacket/Pant is fitting you properly. When in the riding position, there should be no areas where the water can "pool" especially near a zipper. Our zippers are water resistant. What makes them waterproof is the sewing construction and the zipper guards. The zipper guards need to be laying flat.
  • The neck opening needs to be closed including velcro, and snaps and cinched properly. Some neck socks, base layers and mid layers can wick moisture down from the neck opening to chest area. These might need to be removed or made out of a fabric that does not wick or absorb water. Some helmets can drip water down neck opening as well.
  • The cargo pockets on some adventure pieces are not waterproof. Refer to the Klim's Website www.klim.com to find out which pockets on your style are waterproof.
  • DWR coating, DURABLE WATER REPELLENT. Pleas refer to the Gore-Tex Website on how to activate/reactivate the DWR on your garment. How to Restore the Durable Water Repellency of Your Raingear

The above tips should stop most leakage issues. If water still persists after you have tried the above steps, please reply to this email and explain in detail, with photos if possible, showing the location of leakage.

Have a great day!
Warranty Department

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
If all else fails blame the user, next time you ride in rain make sure the Go-Pro is pointed at you so you have evidence.😁

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I have now been without my klim gear for over a month. Paid out of my pocket $75.00 shipping the gear to Klim
and this is their response

Hello Ed,

Thank you for your patience with this. Unfortunately our warranty team tested all over the pant and did not find any leakage and so this is not covered under warranty. We will be sending your pants back to you. I do apologize for any inconvenience.

So I guess I will have to buy Frog Togs to keep my klim gear dry in the rain.

·
Super Moderator
12,236 Posts
Well that's just a kick in the pants! I guess I'll keep my inexpensive rain gear, that keeps me dry.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I wonder what "tested all over the pant" means.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wonder what "tested all over the pant" means.
I doubt it means they hit them with heavy rain at 60 mph for an hour. You know a real world test.

Reactions: NREMTP
1 - 20 of 24 Posts