Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my searchfoo is not strong. Or at least I couldn't find if this has been asked before or not. But... Went out to dinner tonight and just couldn't bring myself to leave the bike on it's side stand in the parking spot. I know it probably is, but I'm just looking for assurances from those that have been riding Wings for a while. That side stand is plenty strong enough, right? :eek: Just looks so..... small...

I don't want to be "That guy" that has his bike fall over as he's walking away from it cause the stand couldn't hold it up.

New wing owner regards. :D

Roy

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I've never had a problem on concrete or asphalt--I do carry a disk in my trunk in case I need to park the bike in the gravel or dirt.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
It's always held my Wing. Park on the level and put the stand down and you will be fine..

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
The stand is plenty strong, what's weak is what's under it. Get yourself a foot plate to put under the stand to keep it from sinking into worm/hot asphalt or soft turf. They're available at just about any cycle shop and Honda even makes embossed logo ones (but you might need to be a dealer to get one of those;)). In a pinch, a piece of 1/8" plywood 3x3" works just fine.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have used wood, a rock, crushed beer can, old and a maufactured kick stand pad. The best one is what I use now. It is a Harley Davidson pad. Seems kind of sybolic. I remember back in the late 70s. I was on a father-son ride in Nebraska. We lined up the bikes along the higghway so I could take a picture. As I looked tthrough the viewfinded I saw my XS11 bagger fall when the stand sunk into the hot asphault.

·
Registered
263 Posts
TexRoy-yeah, I'd just put the side stand down and not worry about it. The suggestion to use the plate is a good one when you are on dirt or hot asphalt.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the habit of putting your baby in gear before you leave it. Someone sugested this to me when we were riding one day and it makes sense. Even if you are on level you never know, someone could bump into your ride with their car and move your bike forward and over - is just one of many examples of possibilities.

I don't know - maybe you are already in that habit of putting the bike in gear but I thought I'd just throw it out there for ya.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
cheap kickstand plate - junction box cover

I saw these at wallymart or lowes in the last week for .47 cents.
I keep a couple in the bottom of the saddlebag. Takes up no room, I have an extra if a friend doesn't have one. I also will drive away and leave it behind at least once in the summer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
I'm with you TexR. Doesn't " look " like much compared to what it's holding up. Like the " Commander's " post below I use the first gear parking " brake " on any grade surface outside of level and when I have Mz. Vickie on board to stabilize her " style " of mounting :eek: My local riding buddy has the stand " Lakecharles " posted and I'm impressed with its footprint.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Had the same doubts and installed the same one as lakecharles

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, Folks. I'm learning to trust it.. a little. :D

Agree that leaving it in 1st is a good idea. My Honda Dealer has a pad with a telescoping stick so you can place it on the ground and pick it up while sitting on the bike. Think I'm gonna pick one of those up today before we head out for our ride.

Gonna do 160 miles today, our first trip on the Wing... can't wait.

Ride safe and see you all on the road.

Roy

·
Registered
232 Posts
...My Honda Dealer has a pad with a telescoping stick so you can place it on the ground and pick it up while sitting on the bike. Think I'm gonna pick one of those up today before we head out for our ride....
Save your money and take a length of cord or heavy string... and attach it to a small piece of something that you can fashion real quick to set under your kick stand... something that you can drop down - move it with your foot and from the motorcycle just pull it up by the cord and throw it in your pocket or into the fairing pocket. Hang the cord from the handlebar so you will remember it.

I have a small metal plate - curled up on one corner, which has the hole for the cord - and it goes in the saddle bag on my road star - whenever I am on unstable surface I get it out. Now I have that Kury Kickstand I put on the Wing and from all the reviews it is wide enough to keep from sinking into the asphalt, and it is pretty big.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Back in 1986 I had a new to me '84 Aspencade, I won't bore you with the details,but, I wrote it off because I left the side stand down:eek::rolleyes:
That S.O.B. stand would NOT come up or BREAK! I traveled about 600 ft with it down in a left hand sweeper..in a high speed wobble; No way would it come up..or break!
After talking to the local dealer at the time about the side stand, he said in '84 Honda changed the design...made the stand a bit longer AND angled it more forward because of some complaints of earlier Wings rolling off the side stands when parked on some sloped areas. Just my luck, I can tell you for certain..those stands are MORE than strong enough to carry you & your wing...even with two up and just sitting on the bike!:D

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Ok, my searchfoo is not strong. Or at least I couldn't find if this has been asked before or not. But... Went out to dinner tonight and just couldn't bring myself to leave the bike on it's side stand in the parking spot. I know it probably is, but I'm just looking for assurances from those that have been riding Wings for a while. That side stand is plenty strong enough, right? :eek: Just looks so..... small...

I don't want to be "That guy" that has his bike fall over as he's walking away from it cause the stand couldn't hold it up.

New wing owner regards. :D

Roy

Hey Roy, I am still trying to figure this one out. Is the angle, fear it will bend or fear it will move forward and fall over?

·
Registered
157 Posts
The kick stand is plenty strong enough to hold the bike up.
If ya have to park on a angle either put it on 1st gear or reverse to keep it from rolling.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
No offense, but I would not recommend putting the bike in reverse. Reverse is not a gear in the tranny. It would put pressure on the starter and it is not designed at all to be used this way.

I do agree that the oem kickstand is more than enough to hold up the bike. Most of the weight is still equally divided on the tires. I would guess that there isn't more than 100 lbs on the kickstand. If it was more, we wouldn't be lifting it back up. My guess is the kickstand itself could withstand 1000 lbs or more.

That is why I was asking for clarification in my earlier question. I am guessing it is the weight distributed over the small footprint that has this thread going.

As for the mechanics of the bike, I agree with ddobber that 1st gear is correct and the stand is fine unless it has come lose from the frame.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts