Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, so I used a tube of granite powder on my locks today and when I went to put my goldwing key in the ignition of my 01 Wing, the key went in just over half way into the ignition slot. I’m not sure what happened but I stuck the tube or graphite into the ignition hole spritzed a little. Now the key won’t go in and I’m thinking I got too much graphite or a piece of the plastic tip in there. Anyone have any thoughts as I don’t wanna screw up my screw up any more. I have tried blowing air into the key cylinder hole. I can’t really see too well into the hole to see if there is an obstruction. I’m not sure how to go about it.

Thanks for your input guys.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
I'm not sure about the 01 but on the 06 it was possible to remove and dis-mantle the ignition switch. If I remember right there is just two screws holding it in.
If you do take it apart keep track of the order of the pins.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
You mention granite powder and then graphite powder???
I suggest using a vacuum cleaner. If that does not work you may have to take the ignition switch out, invert it and try to get whatever you put in it out. If that does not work, then you will probably have to disassemble the switch.

·
Super Moderator
9,390 Posts
If there is something stuck a good strong shopvac over the lock should work.

·
Premium Member
23,457 Posts
Yes I mean to say graphite powder. Thanks for your suggestions.
Powder ? That will do it. Next time we " grease " the key. Maybe a spray of WD-40 will liquefy the powder. Put some of that powder on a surface and hit it with WD-40 and see what it does.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,822 Posts
You have already read the suggestions I would make. Hope the flushing or vacuum works.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all, so I used a tube of granite powder on my locks today and when I went to put my goldwing key in the ignition of my 01 Wing, the key went in just over half way into the ignition slot. I’m not sure what happened but I stuck the tube or graphite into the ignition hole spritzed a little. Now the key won’t go in and I’m thinking I got too much graphite or a piece of the plastic tip in there. Anyone have any thoughts as I don’t wanna screw up my screw up any more. I have tried blowing air into the key cylinder hole. I can’t really see too well into the hole to see if there is an obstruction. I’m not sure how to go about it.

Thanks for your input guys.
O M G !!!
Why in the world did you put graphite in key hole?
Only people who use graphite nowadays is the U.S. Navy. BUT they strip and clean the locks on a regular basis.
WD-40 or Silicone Spray works great. (And you don't have to wipe your key off before putting it back in your pocket.)
You might try flushing it out with WD-40. Spray profusely again and again until key goes in and out easily.
Keep a rag handy as the graphite makes a huge mess.

·
Administrator
25,969 Posts
I'd remove the ignition barrel and clean it off the bike. Worse comes to worse if it's pooched, it has to come out anyway...

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
O M G !!!
Why in the world did you put graphite in key hole?
Only people who use graphite nowadays is the U.S. Navy. BUT they strip and clean the locks on a regular basis.
WD-40 or Silicone Spray works great. (And you don't have to wipe your key off before putting it back in your pocket.)
You might try flushing it out with WD-40. Spray profusely again and again until key goes in and out easily.
Keep a rag handy as the graphite makes a huge mess.
graphite being dry....doesn't attract dust, dirt, and pocket lint like liquid grease does.... and does not get stiff in the freezing temps..... locks that I use graphite powder in stay working much longer than any lock that I have used WD40 or Liquid Wrench.... I have used the last two if a lock has been hanging outside for years and hasn't been taken care of just to get it to open.... then use carb cleaner to get all the grease out and graphite it.

You just can't over do it or like he said... can't get the key in.... you should try it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
graphite being dry....doesn't attract dust, dirt, and pocket lint like liquid grease does.... and does not get stiff in the freezing temps..... locks that I use graphite powder in stay working much longer than any lock that I have used WD40 or Liquid Wrench.... I have used the last two if a lock has been hanging outside for years and hasn't been taken care of just to get it to open.... then use carb cleaner to get all the grease out and graphite it.

You just can't over do it or like he said... can't get the key in.... you should try it.
I have tried it. And I have had to remove all graphite that was put into keyhole, re-lubricate and clean up.
But, before you take it apart, try my suggestion. Flush the keyhole A LOT.
Could save you some time and extra work.
Hope it works :smile2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have tried it. And I have had to remove all graphite that was put into keyhole, re-lubricate and clean up.
But, before you take it apart, try my suggestion. Flush the keyhole A LOT.
Could save you some time and extra work.
Hope it works :smile2:
Good for you! :Dance02:

·
Super Moderator
27,558 Posts
Glad you got things resolved even if it left our pal @Chopin non-vinticated.

Sorry your new here and aren't in the loop. He uses WD40 for everything, I believe he may even spray some on his breakfast.

:dunno:

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts