Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from our first long ride to Key West. Bike ran good, though still having vibration issues in the 70-75mph range. Didn't spend much time in that speed range so didn't notice it much. Corbin seat started to wear on me though I am sure the heat didnt help much with that. It was bothering the wife too, so a modification of some sort may be in order.

So here is the trip summary...

Total miles - 804
Total riding time - 16 hours (8 each day)
Average MPG - 41.4

This was a quick 2 day trip just to get away. It was all about the ride, not the destination, though Key West isn't a bad destination. I have always wanted to do this trip on a bike so that is one I can mark off the list. I would do it again.

We left Sunday morning in the rain. It was raining all weekend. I good steady rain over the coarse of 36 hours. We thought it was going to let up on Saturday but it actually got worse. We had already made the reservations and I asked the wife if she still wanted to go. She said, well we already have a room and we can dress for the rain, so lets go!

It was steady rain for the first hour of the trip, enough to really soak us through. We don't have rain gear. Our gear is mesh pants with mesh armored jackets. She wore her bathing suit underneath it all and I wore under armor shirt with cycling shorts. You get wet, but you dry out quickly once it stops raining. With the Florida heat, it wasn't really that bad and on the way home, we were hoping to get rained on to cool us off.

So we traveled down the middle of central Florida (17) and hit the West Coast in Ft Myers. From there to Naples then 41 south into the Everglades. 41 South it a long lonely road with occasional Indian camp grounds and Airboat rides. Both of which we were not interested in. Our next stop was in Florida City for gas and a snack. Then onto the Keys. We finally dried out once we hit Rt 1 in the Keys. Sun came out and it was pleasant.

For anyone that has been to the Keys, Route 1 is mostly a single lane each way with not a lot of passing opportunities. There is always some tourist that likes to go 45mph in the 55mph zone that fails to notice a line of cars 3 miles long behind them. This is the main reason why it takes so long. Other than that, it is a nice ride hoping from Key to Key. Seven mile bridge is nice as well. After a good 2 hours from Florida City, we arrived in Key West just in time to get the last rain shower.

We spend the night at a B&B (Curry House) which was very nice. I would recommend that. Then we went out for dinner and drinks.

The next morning, we hit up a few shops, then we had to check out. Left about 12 noon. The return ride, we took 27 north all the way to Haines City area where we live. Passing miles upon miles of Sugar Cane groves and sparse civilization, we made it home at 8pm last night.

The bike held up well. Only mechanical gremlins that I need to sort out is the vibration issue, need new shocks (Progressive 416s on the xmas list), and foot brake is feeling soft. Have to dig into that one.

Next stop, this weekend to Daytona, Biketoberfest.

Pics to come tonight.

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
sounds like you and soqs had a great time despite the rain. chech the head bearing and flush the brake system, old fluid eventually will not hold or build up pressure

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
sounds like you and soqs had a great time despite the rain. chech the head bearing and flush the brake system, old fluid eventually will not hold or build up pressure
Already flushed the system. All new fluid. Either air in the lines, a leak somewhere or warped rotor that keeps pushed the pads open. It started out firm then about 200 miles into the trip it felt like something gave out. Brakes still work, just have to use the full travel of the pedal.

Would it be worth moving to SS lines? Always did this on my sportbikes, just not sure on the effect on the wing.

Best thing about the trip, was the wife saying she was glad we took the bike and would do it again :)

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Keep the little lady happy, and you will be too:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Sounds like a great trip.....can't wait to see the pics:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts