Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery on my new wing last week ,traded in my 05 1800 in, bought the 09 base model .
I have read about Wheel Wax has anyone used this product or any thing else to keep wheels free of brake dust. I ride my wing almost every day during the summer and my 05 rear rim was dirty.
I was hoping to put something on these wheels before they got bad.
Thanks Steve

·
Registered
405 Posts
I posted over on one of the other boards and pretty much everbody has this problem. Most said they put a couple coats of their favorite wax on and then just try to wipe after ride or two. Another option is to powder coat them from what I have been told.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you ever hear of a reliable solution for this break dust problem, I'm sure there are a gazillion WingNuts out there who would love to hear it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I read a post either on this board or another where somebody actually had the dust analyzed and that a lot of it was really just road dust. Apparantly the wing gathers more road dust than other bikes. Also I have seen where someone swore by windex to remove extremely troublesome dark discolored spots.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I read a post either on this board or another where somebody actually had the dust analyzed and that a lot of it was really just road dust....
I wonder if there is a way to better ground a Wing for Static Electricity? Like hanging a conductor from the frame that bumps the ground now and then. I'll have to check around some of the other haunts about anybody trying this.

·
Registered
405 Posts
With the big alternator and all the circuits the bike probably does generate a lot of static. I know I feel the feel the short hairs rise every time I ride mine; espically in the twisties or wide open for a couple of seconds in a striaght for some reason.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
the rotor covers on the 1500 wings keep a lot of brake dust on the wheels, i usually stop at this hand car wash not far from my house just to have them clean the wheels on the 1500. can't say i have had a problem with static though. it sounds like a ground wire is loose somewhere or corroded

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I tried a spray on wheel cleaner for a show & shine last fall, worked great. I'll try and remember to look up the brand when I'm in the garage tonight. Was real easy, while washing the bike, spray the cleaner on the wheel and let it sit for 5 minutes and rinse it off with the sprayer. A whole season of road grime and brake dust gone on the rear wheel:D

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
Be Careful

I tried a wheel cleaner on my show car once and it turned the coating on the wheels white! :eek:

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I'll try it on my powdercoated RC wheels this spring. The back of it is got brake dust, chain lube, bugs, road grime, just about anything this ole world can throw at it that a garden hose won't take off. REally pleased with how it worked on the Wing.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
I'll try it on my powdercoated RC wheels this spring. The back of it is got brake dust, chain lube, bugs, road grime, just about anything this ole world can throw at it that a garden hose won't take off. REally pleased with how it worked on the Wing.
Would like to know what you are using.
I've got my own method for cleaning the back wheel most people wouldn't try it but I've been doing it for years no problem. The brush I use I got in the kitchen section at the local Market.
The handle is about 10 inches long and the brush is at a 45% degree angle to the handle and is ABOUT 2 INCHES SQUARE. With the bike on the center stand and the engine idling and in first gear. I spray both side of the spining tire and wheel with Simple green.
Then I wet the brush and reach in and apply the brush to the tire side wall and slowly work it up till I feel the wheel bead, and continue on till I have the brush riding on the flat part of the rim. Wetting the brush a couple of times, then repete on the other side and rinse the spining wheel and tire. It sounds kind of scarey but once you've done it a couple of time and develope the feel it's easy.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I'm trying a coat of " Future Acrylic Floor Polish ". I have a coat of it on the rims, just waiting for spring to put a coat of brake dust on.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
"Eagle One" AtoZ Wheel Cleaner. Bought it at our sister NAPA auto store.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Would like to know what you are using.
I've got my own method for cleaning the back wheel most people wouldn't try it but I've been doing it for years no problem. The brush I use I got in the kitchen section at the local Market.
The handle is about 10 inches long and the brush is at a 45% degree angle to the handle and is ABOUT 2 INCHES SQUARE. With the bike on the center stand and the engine idling and in first gear. I spray both side of the spining tire and wheel with Simple green.
Then I wet the brush and reach in and apply the brush to the tire side wall and slowly work it up till I feel the wheel bead, and continue on till I have the brush riding on the flat part of the rim. Wetting the brush a couple of times, then repete on the other side and rinse the spining wheel and tire. It sounds kind of scarey but once you've done it a couple of time and develope the feel it's easy.
That make a lot of sense. I sprayed my rims with " Wheel Brite " (?) and of course it runs and leaves a streak. Now I have to clean the streak. Keep it moving! Makes sense.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts