Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a brand new Bell Mag-9 helmet with flip down face shield. It's the first 3/4 I've ever owned. I bought it in anticipation of adding some helmet audio. Previously I had a half helmet that I wore with sunglasses. The clear face shield is nothing short of breathtaking. I feel like I just bought a new HD television. Everything i see just sparkles. Furthermore, I had no idea how distracting the wind was on the other helmet until it went away with this one.

For you all who ride with a helmet that has a face shield, how do you keep it transparent and scratch-free?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Good luck with that! I use cleaners that are meant to be used for plastics, plenty of water to rinse things down and microfiber cloths. Do not use any cleaners with ammonia as it will cause many plastics to yellow. Not Good. To remove bugs from plastics, lay a water soaked soft cloth on them to soften them, try rinsing off before wiping.

·
Administrator
29,074 Posts
For you all who ride with a helmet that has a face shield, how do you keep it transparent and scratch-free?
Don't use it is the best way.:Dang: But we know that's not possible.
It probably won't take too long before you put your first nick in it & you'll be sick over it. But I always just think about the miles I put on while wearing it & get a big smile.

Like blk93 says works. You can also get products like this.

http://www.bigbadpowersports.com/pr...pg=0136-0010&gclid=CO66waSYx7UCFZOe4Aod_xcAVQ

·
Premium Member
24,523 Posts
Plexus and Plastix are two specific products that are very good, if a bit pricey. There's also a product called "Clear to Sea" that we used to use here in the showroom. Sport (ice hockey) visor spray is good for anti-fog too. However, for most of us 'little people' in the trenches good old Pledge and a micro cloth works wonders. Bugs are just plain nasty if you don't soak them like blk93 mentions. Small dings and grit marks from highway debris are our biggest nemesis. once the lexan (or whatever) is pitted, yer pretty much hooped.:icon9:

·
Super Moderator
15,177 Posts
rain usually gets my face shield clean :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Face shield -

I have found that using a mild dish soap along with a little water works pretty well to keep my face shield clean. I also carry one of those high absorbent cloths to dry everything off. In a pinch I've used the soft soap in the bathroom dispensers but they sometimes will leave a slight film. I have found that a light mist of rain along with that film can really cause some problems if you're in traffic. A ridding buddy swears by a specially formulated anti-fog cleaner that he carries for his helmet visor.

The last Bell helmet I bought came with a clear and tinted visor that was really nice. The only problem was during one of the first long trips with the new helmet - I pulled a real dumb [email protected]# stunt. One evening while riding with a couple of friends on a twisty road it suddenly became so dark that I almost missed a sharp curve. When we finally pulled over in a small town for gas and I removed my helmet I felt pretty silly. The next few miles on to our planned camping stop using the clear visor was a much more relaxed ride.

Michael ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.