Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just looked at one of these. I don't see any competition with the Goldwing at all. The BMW is way to "sporty" for me. BMW just can't seem to make anything but those "lean forward" bikes that I rode as a teenager. I actually prefer the 1500 GW to the 1800, because it is more comfortable for me. I am 52, have a bad back and fairly severe arthritis, and the 1500 is basically a lazyboy on wheels, just what the Dr. ordered. IMO, the new BMW is more competition for the ST1300/FJR1300/ZG1400 than it is for the Goldwing. The Goldwing is more about touring in COMFORT, like a '70s Cadillac. I can't afford an 1800 new or used, but I see a 1500 in my future. Bob.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i wrote on the forum after test riding the bmw gtl 1600

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I haven't ridden one, but I've sat on them, both the GT and the GTL. One of our more recent members just got rid of his GTL and went with a Wing 1800, can't recall if it's a '10 or '12 at the moment. I'm expecting some comparisons from him when he gets back from his trip on the Wing, He wasn't overly impressed with the GTL from what I gathered. I like them, but they're not a two-up distance machine IMO, and the lack of corniering clearance is just wrong for the target rider/market. The GT is better, but then the base equipment is lacking alot of the features the GTL has standard.

·
Registered
470 Posts
All good points,but, ya gotta LOVE the active headlight! It actually sweeps ahead when you turn or lean..kinda of a Buck Rogers thing.:D

·
Registered
103 Posts
I rode a GTL at Americade and while it's a nice bike with great technology I didn't find it comfortable at all (neither did the missus).
It went like a raped ape and cornered like a slot car but it's more of a sport tourer (IMO) than a Grand Tourer. Final say is that I bought a 2012 Wing just last week. The BMW is nice, it just isn't for us. I will say one thing I found disturbing, it had AWFUL driveline lash.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Totally agree with Big Bob and Elwood. Took a GTL for a 45 minute demo and couldn't wait to get off, but wanted to make sure I bought the best touring bike possible. Ordered the 2012 GW Airbag 3 months ago. Finally, my GW arrives next week and can't wait. I want the power and handling of a sport bike and comfort of a Cadillac. I think I made the right decision.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ex Beemer Guy

I was a Beemer rider and had actually ordered a K1600 GTL based on all the hype, then I had the chance to demo the bike. It didn't take long to determine that it just wasn't comfortable--at least for me it wasn't. I was seriously bummed out at the thought of spending that kind of cash and the ride not being that much different from the RT I already owned. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun bike, scary quick plus has some cool gadgets, but at the end of the day it's an individual choice based on what each person wants from their motorcycle. I decided to demo a 2012 Wing and ended up buying it. Beemer motorcycles are kinda like their cars, sporty and handle great but give you a rough ride. I love my 2012 Wing. Fun to ride and wonderful comfort on long hauls. It was the right choice for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts