Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow Wingers,
Do any of you use or have used a K&N air filters.I ordered one, and noticed some bad feedback on one of the other sites.
As long as it is checked every 12,000 miles is it ok to use.
Thanks in advance,
Donald Lang

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
There are some that use it and like it, just like anything else you will get pro's and con's about it, some say it lets in more dirt than the stock one, for the price of the Honda one, and considering you only need to change it about every 30,000 miles or so (depending on the conditions you ride in) I will stick with the stock one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I can only tell you this. I have put K&N air filters in every new vehicle I've bought since 1990 to include:
1990 Acura Legend
1991 Jeep Wrangler (4.0L H.O.)
1995 Chevrolet Tahoe (350)
2000 F-350 (V-10 Gas)
The only new vehicle I haven't put one in is my 2006 F-350 6.0 Diesel because it has a Donaldson designed air box and the filters for it flow as good as a K&N and since the standard air filter for it costs $80.00, it should be pretty good. I may even put a K&N in it if they made just a replacement filter for the factory air box but they don't.

The one thing that was messed up from a K&N filter was my own fault. On the 2000 F-350, I over-oiled it when I cleaned the filter and killed a sensor. Ford dealer replaced it under warranty but told me if I did it again, I was on my own. Moral of the story: Don't over-oil them.

I know some people say that they let in dust and dirt but I can only say that I have had no such experience and my Jeep saw some seriously dirty/muddy conditions.

And yes, I have one for my 1200 I bought. Just need to take the time to install it.

I'm not trying to sell you on K&N filters, just saying that I've never experienced any of the problems others talk about.

Hoss

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Hoss,
Had a freind tell me; he installed one 3000 miles ago. So I liked idea of being able to clean it verces throwing it a way.Ordered it from Advanced Auto Parts.Then I saw some negative comments on the filter from another web site. Was going to pick up today and install this weekend while putting a alternator conversion kit on.My bike has 37,500 miles and not sure if the air filter has ever been changed.I think I will give it a try.Thanks for the feedback.
Your freind,
Donald

·
Registered
263 Posts
Another happy K&N user here. Have had one in all my bikes except one,the 1st.
'74 Honda CB450
'78 Kaw650D
'82Kaw1000CSR
'941500SE

·
Registered
515 Posts
Donald, I use K&N in my 2000 SE and 06 truck. Installed mine last year before the '09 riding season, no complaints here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts