Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed the Air Cleaner on the wing and have been thinking about a K&N air filter, had one on a 1500 Vulcan and really did not see any change in MPG or performance, but got to thinking that maybe you could extended the change time and get more miles between filter changes. Any thought's on this or does anyone have any experience with using the K&N. Thanks in Advance.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Will change to one on my next replacement. They're washable, not dispoable and breathe better.

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
if you had a k&n air filter in your vulcan then you know how often the filter will need cleaning will vary with conditions. i have a k&n air filter in my 1200 wing which i check every spring. a k&n filter does flow more air and some bikes don't like the extra air / less back pressure

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
if you had a k&n air filter in your vulcan then you know how often the filter will need cleaning will vary with conditions. i have a k&n air filter in my 1200 wing which i check every spring. a k&n filter does flow more air and some bikes don't like the extra air / less back pressure
What do think about one on a 1500 Doc?

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
i don't have a k&n air filter in my 1500 wing yet so i cannot say. k&N says to let the filter air dry so if you do get one for your bike you might be waiting awhile to go riding

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one I had on my Vulcan I didn't have that many miles on it when I traded it so not sure how it was performing as far as dirt, etc. I know that they say 50,000 miles on vehicles normal conditions, I'm guessing that would be a little long for the wing. I am not looking for more performance just less maintance time on the filter change. Thanks for your reply.

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
i think that the paper filter that comes on a wing is good for up to three years so if you did get a k&n filter three years later would be a good time to check or clean it

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Wash them when dirty, Let air dry, Treat them with K&N Oil & put them back in.:D

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
Wash them when dirty, Let air dry, Treat them with K&N Oil & put them back in.:D
but the job is sooo much easier on my 1200 wing

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm getting ready to change mine to a K&N. I had one on my Electra-Glide for 106,000 miles. The Wing has 17,000 mikes on it and it looks like a lot of work to change it so thats one reason to change plus I like the K&N. I have one on my truck and it has a few miles on it. I'll clean it and recharge soon.

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
I'm getting ready to change mine to a K&N. I had one on my Electra-Glide for 106,000 miles. The Wing has 17,000 mikes on it and it looks like a lot of work to change it so thats one reason to change plus I like the K&N. I have one on my truck and it has a few miles on it. I'll clean it and recharge soon.
FYI, just because the K&N filter has better air flow, that doesn't mean you can go longer between air filter changes. They get just as dirty in the same time frame. I wouldn't waste my money on them. Being the air filter change on an 1800 is an all day affair, I'd stick with the stock filter.

JMHO

Mark

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
i agree mark thats why i said i would clean it instead of checking it on the 1500 wing

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Curious, what is the cost difference between disposable and k&n?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I put a K&N filter on my 1500. It idles better and has better throttle response. I have one on my car and I love them. I don't live in a high dirt area so I usually have to clean mine in my car once a year. I had talked with one other 1500 owner that said the filter made a big difference in his as well.

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
Curious, what is the cost difference between disposable and k&n?
$54.00 for the K & N.....$18.00 for the Honda. That's for a GL1800.

$70.00 for the K&N. Emgo -$24.00 For the GL1500.

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
$54.00 for the K & N.....$18.00 for the Honda. That's for a GL1800.

$70.00 for the K&N. Emgo -$24.00 For the GL1500.

Mark
Thanks Mark. Do you or someone else know the longevity of the k&n?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I paid 49.00 for mine at O'Reilly's. They had to get it from the warehouse. Part number is HA8088. The one in my car is 5 years old and still going strong. over 40,000 miles

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
I paid 49.00 for mine at O'Reilly's. They had to get it from the warehouse. Part number is HA8088. The one in my car is 5 years old and still going strong. over 40,000 miles
Thanks Red Cruiser. It appears to me that though the service interval may be the same as disposable, the service life of the filter appears to be much longer. Looks like one breaks even by the 2nd replacement/cleaning and then doesn't have any cost for a long time except for a little bit of oil to recharge the filter. Besides the savings, it also appears to help the engine run better too. I'm leaning this way too and most likely will change to k&n.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.