Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I just purchased an '02 1800 that was in need of some TLC. It needed new brakes, tires, fluids, and a bath. I new that reverse wasn't working, but everything else was fine, I thought. I get her home thinking that, with a little elbow grease and some new shoes she'd be on the road. Wrong. Now it won't start, I've tried everything I know (and I know a little). I'm wondering if it has something to do with the reverse not working. Any help would be great, before I have to take it to a dealer.
thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
welcome and greetings from Florida.
Did you accidentally bump the engine kill switch or push the button in for reverse?
Please check and report back when you can.

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
wilmo, Don't know about 1800's but I know on my 1500 the reverse stuck once & the bike wouldn't start. Some messing around with the switches got it working again. Maybe one of our 1800 guys can chime in & help you out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there is a click from the solenoid, but nothing else. I'm thinking the started may have gone bad, but it cranked to put it on the trailer to get it home and to roll it in the shop.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Wilmo, welcome to the forum, I think our moderator fossil92 is on the right track, good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about the kill switch first off ( I would've really felt like an ass) and when I hit the reverse button I can hear what sounds like a gear? moving and then reversing when I hit it again.

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
What you are hearing is the cable operated reverse shift mechanism. The cables may have to be adjusted.

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Never fear the obvious because you might look stupid. Most of us have been through the kill switch episode. Need to look at the obvious first though. If joe were here he would say, " Spray contact cleaner into the reverse switch. "

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
I'm thinking!
There's relays that go bad, but they seem to be working since the system is cycling.
There is a diode pack for reverse, there may be a bad diode in there.
Every time you push the button for reverse, does the indicator light illuminate?

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
All dash lights, high/low beams, radio display on and playing music? Don't know the '02 model, but the '08 has a " Fault Indicator " light on the dash display. Anything illuminated out of the ordinary to you ?

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Have you introduced yourself properly? Perhaps she's just a bit shy....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chopin, all the electronics are working fine (well the rear speakers aren't working but I don't think that has anything to do with it) no odd (as far as I know) lights.

Donald, I gave her a bath, rubbed her all over, and even put fresh lube in her.:D That has ALWAYS worked for me before.:confused:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Welcome from Vermont! I have nothing to add but I am sure you are in the right place for some answers!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I would check the battery, they can go bad instantly, also check reverse button, they are easy to push in by accident, check kill switch and reverse relay and reverse cable,

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Ther other thing could be the side stand switch malfunctioning or the side stand not all the way retracted.

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
the clutch lever switch may be bad also.
I believe they both share the same circuit on the schematic.

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
5 and a 1/2 hours later and still no response. If we can keep him from the dealership we will have done our job. Battery, kick stand switch.. Come on Wilmo, check the obvious first. We're pulling for you. Our reputation depends on it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts